Friday, December 2, 2022

*Review* The Lost Witch by Paige Crutcher (27 December 2022)

 


Genre: Paranormal Romance
Published: December 27, 2022
Pages: 320



In Paige Cruther's The Lost Witch, a witch discovers that finding your way home is sometimes the most perilous journey of all.

1922. Brigid Heron is a powerful witch and healer in the seemingly lost, but charming small town of Evermore on a forgotten isle in Ireland. However, there is one thing that she longs for above all else: a child of her own. She is even willing to be seduced by the mysterious Luc Knightly, head of the Knightly coven, whose pull is potent and impossible to resist. When their child is born and falls ill, Brigid will risk anything to save her daughter–even tap into the forbidden magic of the Lough of Brionglóid. But when the wild magic takes her daughter from her, Brigid is swept away as well.

2022. Evermore is under siege. The witches of Knight have been using their chaos magic to widen the rift between the island and the Otherworld. Creatures from folklore prey on the villagers, consuming their very humanity.

Brigid awakens in this world with no memory of how she traveled into the future, but she learns that she helped unleash this curse on Evermore. To seal the lough and stop the witches of Knight, she must work with her magical descendants, Ophelia and Finola. But the knowledge she seeks lies with Luc Knightly himself—mysterious, handsome, and powerful. To save Evermore, Brigid may have to lose everything once again.



I was invited to read this book through Netgalley, but I was also lucky enough to win a copy of it through Goodreads. In fact, because I've been going through some things in my personal life and not checking my email regularly, I'd actually received my copy of the book from Goodreads and read it before I even saw that I was invited to read it on Netgalley. Neither of those facts has had any influence on my review. 

This was the first book that I found myself able to read this year, and I read it in August. My inability to get into any books for most of the year may actually affect how I felt about this book overall, but I'm going to stand by my star rating because it was made at the time I finished the book. You, however, should take it with a grain of salt. 

I would love to be able to say that I was just so drawn into this book because I wanted to know what happened next that I couldn't put it down, and that's why it's the first book I read this year, but that would be a lie. For the most part, I did not struggle with putting this book down to do other things, but it was engaging enough that I did want to keep returning to it when I had some free time. 

I found myself rather frustrated by Brigid's memory issues, but even more frustrated that Luc Knightly wouldn't just tell her what he knew about her situation. I really felt like most of the problems the main characters faced would have been complete non-issues if not for Knightly's reticence. Granted that would have made the book significantly shorter and removed almost all of the suspense. 

I found it interesting how readily Brigid adapted to the present day, although I also had to keep reminding myself that she was only missing for a hundred years. Being a witch, my brain was set on thinking that her natural time was in like the 1600s. And there is literally no reason I should've been stuck on that from what the book presented, so that is entirely my failing. 

Overall, I give The Lost Witch 3 out of 5 stars because I wanted to finish it, but didn't feel the need to ignore other responsibilities to do so. - Katie 




Paige Crutcher is a former Southern Correspondent for Publishers Weekly, an artist and yogi, and co-owner of the online marketing company Hatchery.

No comments:

Post a Comment