Friday, December 9, 2022

Review: Amie's Party by Iain Lauchlan

 

Genre: Children's 2-5
Pages: 32
Published: August 4, 2022



It’s another peaceful day in the village for the Mood Bears – until Happy Bear spots a yellow cloud on the horizon and knows someone needs her help. The cloud takes Happy Bear to Amie, who feels lonely and sad after moving to a new flat far away from her friends. She has no one to celebrate her birthday with her, either. So, Happy Bear throws a party for Amie’s big day and invites some very special guests to remind her that she is never alone.

Amie’s Party is a sensitively written and beautifully illustrated children’s book, designed to help children deal with change and feelings of loneliness.


I received a copy of this book through Netgalley. This is my honest review. 

I usually talk about illustrations at the end of my reviews, but where I didn't get the illustrations for this book on my Kindle, I'm beginning with them, and just to tell you I have no idea what they look like.

Now that I've got that out of the way, onto the story. It reminded me a lot of the Care Bears, and since all I had to go on was words, that's what I was picturing the entire time I was reading this book. And the mood bears honestly seem to behave quite a bit like the Care Bears as well.

I did like the message of this story, basically that you should look for ways to help others when you can because spreading joy and happiness is the bees knees. And I really wish I could have seen the illustrations in my copy so that I could comment on them for you, but you'll just have to judge based on the cover like I did. 

Overall I give this book 3 out of 5 stars because it felt a little too derivative. - Katie 




Iain has been an actor, TV presenter and producer for more than 40 years. He has appeared in many TV dramas and has also presented a number of well-loved children's programmes such as Playschool, Fingermouse and Playdays. Iain also created TV programmes such as Boo, Fun Song Factory and the Bafta-winning Tweenies. Iain still creates his own programmes for his online TV channel called CheekyChimpsTV.com. Amie's Party is his second published book for a pre-school audience.

After graduating from art college in Suffolk, Nik Afia started as a storyboard artist on Teletubbies before going on to do character designs and illustrations for several TV production companies. He subsequently worked as an artist and illustrator on Tweenies. Since then, he's worked as an illustrator and graphic designer on children's books, and as a storyboard artist and character designer on TV shows such as Eastenders and Red Dwarf. He also occasionally teaches drawing and illustration to children in places such as The London Cartoon Museum and Chiswick Holiday Courses.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment