Sunday, December 11, 2022

Review: Ernest's Underground Castle by Bubble Ducky

 

Genre: Children's 5-10
Pages: 32
Published: November 29, 2022



A touching story about talents and acceptance. For creepy-crawlies ages 5 years and up.

Hi! I’m Ernest, and I’m a dung beetle. I’m great at cleaning, but I’m also small and a bit smelly. Where I used to live, nobody liked me. So, one day, I chose to leave that place. Soon I arrived in the sewers, and I found something I’d been searching for forever. 


I received a copy of this book through Netgalley. This is my honest review. 

This is a short story about a smelly little dung beetle and how he finally makes some friends. I don't know what purpose dung beetles serve in nature personally, but if it's anything like the story details, that's kind of cool. I'm sure we call them dung beetles because of what we as humans have witnessed them doing, so this story doesn't seem like a huge stretch based on that. 

The main message of the story seems to be that outcasts of society have value and can be helpful and useful too. And they may just be resourceful enough to save your behind with your own trash. 

The illustrations were very grey and felt dark, but since the story takes place in the sewer, that's pretty fitting. They also provided a lot of nice little details to check out. 

Overall I give this book 3.7 out of 5 stars. - Katie 



No comments:

Post a Comment