Monday, October 16, 2017

*Top Ten Tuesday* Yummy Foods in Books


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Joood - Hooligan of Platypire reviews bossed me into doing this, so I guess this is a thing I do now. 

This weeks theme is yummy foods mentioned in books. Now this is a tough topic for me, not because I never read about yummy foods in books, because I absolutely do. I wanted to make an entire Thanksgiving dinner with all the fixings in June once because of reading about one in a book at that time. But I couldn't for the life of me tell you what book I was reading about that Thanksgiving dinner in. While I have an excellent memory for the written word, yummy sounding foods tend to be a rather minor element story wise, so they don't tend to stick with me as a connection to a particular book.

So bare with me while I attempt to cobble together a list of books with foods that made my mouth water.

1) Harry Potter by J.K. Rowling - This is one series that I know for sure always makes me hungry. In true Hufflepuff fashion, I want to go to Hogwarts simply for the feast. It always sounds so delicious when it's being described in the books.

2) My Life in France by Julia Child - If you can read THE Julia Child's memoir and not want to eat all the things, you have way more self-control than I do. I got my husband to buy me Mastering the Art of French Cooking because of this book. I haven't used it yet, but I own it.

3) Cooking for Picasso by Camille Aubray - This is another book that features French cuisine as it's set in the French Riviera. The descriptions of the food are absolutely divine.

4) If This Was a Movie by Ginna Moran - There is talk about a bakery in this book that sells amazing macarons that had me salivating. I've never had a macaron, but this book made me want to hop on over to France to pick some up (and I live close enough that a day trip just for macarons wouldn't be entirely unreasonable.)

5) The Winemakers by Jan Moran - Wine counts as food right? There was probably some talk about amazing sounding Italian meals somewhere in this book too, but mostly it made me want some wine.

6) The Art of Baking Blind by Sarah Vaughan - I want to learn how to make an amazing sponge cake because of this book. There were other delicious sounding baked goods discussed as well, but the sponge cake is what really stands out in my memory 2.5 years after reading the book.

7) Taste Test by L.B. Dunbar - One of these days I'm going to go hog-wild making cherry based baked goods all because of this book. I just gotta' find some good recipes for them.

8) Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl - Sure, my cravings from this book may be due in large part to the fact that I saw Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory before I ever read the book, but unless you hate candy, I'm pretty sure you'll have to agree with this choice.

9 & 10) I'm combining nine and ten because not only can I not remember specific book titles from these two authors, but also because they are both based in Louisiana so there's a fair amount of food overlap. In any case, Alexandrea Weis and Mary Theriot have me dying to visit Louisiana to eat all the things, but especially beignets. I end up almost drooling on my kindle just about every time I read any of their books.

So, I did it! I came up with 10 "books" with mouth watering food descriptions. I would advise not reading these books while hungry (it's pretty much like going to the grocery store on an empty stomach. It's just a bad idea).

What books have you read that made your mouth water? - Katie

*If you're stopping by from the linkup, please be sure to leave a link to your post so I can check out your list.*

Have you joined the 12 Books of Christmas Challenge yet? Find out more details and sign up here!

27 comments:

  1. Harry Potter is such a great choice. I love the banquets mentioned there. :-) Charlie is a fab choice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty obvious choices (thank blob of I wouldn't have thought of them and then my list would be two books short). - Katie

      Delete
  2. I am going to pick up The Art of Baking Blind. I have never heard of it but it sounds like something that I would be all about!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The story made me think of MasterChef, because that is the food competition show that I've seen, but I believe the book itself is kind of modeled after The Great British Bakeoff. It was definitely a fun read. - Katie

      Delete
  3. The Winemakers is a great one, because all kinds of goodies go well with wine. And yeah French food... :)

    https://gregsbookhaven.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there anything that doesn't go well with wine? LOL.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  4. I'd do anything to be able to sit at that table in Harry Potter only once! ANYTHING!
    Also, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory because.. Let's just swim in chocolate. Please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, Augustus Gloop tried that swimming in chocolate thing...It didn't work out so well for him. LOL. But if I knew I wouldn't get sucked up into that chute, I'd definitely dive right in!

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  5. What a cool list. I had a hard time because I don't really pay attention to food in books. However I love cozy, quaint locations so I shared those instead. They usually involve a pub, cafe or restaurant anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unless it's a central theme for the book, I don't really either, exactly...although I do know that books often leave me hungry when they talk about food. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  6. My Life in France is on my TBR list! I'm sure it will make me want to eat alll the French food (and sadly I don't live close enough to France for that to be reasonable!)
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth the read, even if it does leave you hungry for decadent French food. :) Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  7. The food in Harry Potter sounds so good! And I love chocolate, so of course Charlie and The Chocolate Factory made me super hungry.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/10/17/top-ten-tuesday-129/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's really interesting how good the food in HP sounds considering that people (in general) seem to think that British food is bland and/or boring (at least that's what I've heard about British food).

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  8. Yeah, apparently I'm no good at remembering food in books. I couldn't come up with many answers for today's list, so I went with food-ish book covers instead. That was a lot easier :)

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, whatever works! Although seeing all those covers was making me hungry too (it doesn't take much to make me hungry.)

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  9. I did my whole list on HP, and I probably could have easily done it on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harry Potter definitely has enough foods to make a list about! Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  10. I would happily eat all the Harry Potter food. It sounds delicious.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. Someone should open up a chain of Harry Potter themed restaurants (around the US/world). I would eat there more often than I should admit. :) - Katie

      Delete
  11. When I think of great food in books, I immediately think of HP. What I wouldn't give to eat in the Great Hall for the welcome feast. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard not to if you've read the books/seen the movies. All the food just sounds/looks sooooooooooo good.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  12. What amazed me in HP was the kids always liked the food they had and there was always more than enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you know, when you have house-elves cooking for you, it's easy to have enough food :) I also think there was always just so much variety that it was easy for everyone to find something they'd like. - Katie

      Delete
  13. I should of thought of the Harry Potter books! Great choice.
    I love macaroons, and I haven't even tried fresh French made ones.:) We have a bakery that specializes in French goodies, since the baker is French. I would love to learn how to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wouldn't mind going to a feast at Hogwarts either. So much good food! And Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. All that chocolate yumminess! This is a great list, Katie. All of these books sound good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Haha, right there with you on wanting to go to Hogwarts for the feast :)

    ReplyDelete