Saturday, December 24, 2022

#31DaysOfChristmas: The Noel Diary



Watched on: Netflix
Duration: 1 hour 39 minutes
Originally aired: 
Directed by: Charles Shyer
Starring: Justin Hartley, Bonnie Bedelia and Barrett Doss
Please see IMDb for full cast and crew information.

 Synopsis

Jacob Turner hasn't been home for almost twenty years not since his mentally ill mother kicked him out of the house when he was just sixteen. When a lawyer calls, days before Christmas, to inform him that his estranged mother has passed away and left her house to him, Jacob returns not just to settle the estate but to try and reconcile with the past and the pain and abuse he experienced as a child. Also, maybe cleaning out her house will be slightly less depressing than spending the holidays alone, watching re-runs of Christmas classics. But as it turns out, the house holds more than just difficult memories, Jacob's mother had become a hoarder and he must excavate through two decades worth of clutter.

Review

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a Christmas movie, but since it was suggested for me amid a Christmas movie marathon on Netflix, I'm inclined to say it is supposed to be one. It does not meet my requirements for a holiday movie however, which is sad.

Because it wasn't really a Christmas move, it was fairly unremarkable for me. It was a drama about a woman trying to find her birth mother and a man reconnecting with his estranged father, against his will, at least at first. There were some sparks, but she's engaged and he's a famous author and she needs stability.

I think if I hadn't been looking for Christmas magic when I watched this, I would have enjoyed the story. But as it stands, I was looking for Christmas magic and didn't find any here, so it was a bit of a bust for me.

Rating

No comments:

Post a Comment