Tuesday, December 18, 2018

*Top Ten Tuesday* YA Request Roulette Round 3: Winter (Dec 18)


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. Joood - Hooligan of Platypire reviews bossed me into doing this, so I guess this is a thing I do now. 

This weeks theme is supposed to be Winter TBR, but I've become quite fond of my games of YA Request Roulette on Netgalley, so apparently I'm making it a quarterly event. The rules are pretty simple for me. I'm just hopping on Netgalley to search through the YA books available for request and picking ten that I'd really like to read and requesting them. I will update this post as they're approved or denied (although I'm building this post a week in advance, so hopefully judgment will be passed on most of them before I hit publish on this). So here we go.

Title: Sky Without Stars
Author: Jessica Brody and Joanne Rendell
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing
Release Date: March 26, 2019
Genre: Science Fiction
Goodreads
Request: Pending

Blurb

A thief. An officer. A guardian.

Three strangers, one shared destiny . . .


When the Last Days came, the planet of Laterre promised hope. A new life for a wealthy French family and their descendants. But five hundred years later, it’s now a place where an extravagant elite class reigns supreme; where the clouds hide the stars and the poor starve in the streets; where a rebel group, long thought dead, is resurfacing.

Whispers of revolution have begun—a revolution that hinges on three unlikely heroes…

Chatine is a street-savvy thief who will do anything to escape the brutal Regime, including spy on Marcellus, the grandson of the most powerful man on the planet.

Marcellus is an officer—and the son of a renowned traitor. In training to take command of the military, Marcellus begins to doubt the government he’s vowed to serve when his father dies and leaves behind a cryptic message that only one person can read: a girl named Alouette.

Alouette is living in an underground refuge, where she guards and protects the last surviving library on the planet. But a shocking murder will bring Alouette to the surface for the first time in twelve years…and plunge Laterre into chaos.

All three have a role to play in a dangerous game of revolution—and together they will shape the future of a planet.

Power, romance, and destiny collide in this sweeping reimagining of Victor Hugo’s masterpiece, Les Misérables.


Title: Corpse & Crown
Author: Alisa Kwitney
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Release Date: February 12, 2019
Genre: Fantasy
Request: Approved

Blurb

Agatha DeLacey’s family isn’t rich or titled, so studying nursing at Ingold’s East End hospital in London is a rare opportunity for her. Despite the school’s focus on the innovative Bio-Mechanical program, Aggie cares more about the desperately poor human patients who flood the hospital, even if that means providing unauthorized treatment after-hours…and trusting a charming, endlessly resourceful thief.

But the Artful Dodger is barely a step ahead of his underworld rivals, the menacing Bill Sykes and mercurial Oliver Twist, and Aggie’s association with him soon leads her into danger. When a brutal attack leaves her blind, she and the Dodger find themselves at the mercy of an experimental Bio-Mech surgery. Though the procedure restores Aggie’s sight, her new eyes come at an unnerving cost, and the changes in Dodger are even more alarming—instead of seeing Aggie as the girl he fancies, he now views her as a potential threat.

As war between England and Germany brews on the horizon and a sinister medical conspiracy threatens to shatter the uneasy peace in Europe, Aggie and the Dodger must find a way to work together so they can protect their friends and expose the truth…even if it means risking their own survival.


Title: A Curse So Dark and Lonely
Author: Brigid Kemmerer
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Release Date: January 29, 2019
Genre: Fantasy
Request: Denied

Blurb

In a lush, contemporary fantasy retelling of Beauty and the Beast, Brigid Kemmerer gives readers another compulsively readable romance perfect for fans of Marissa Meyer.

Fall in love, break the curse. 

It once seemed so easy to Prince Rhen, the heir to Emberfall. Cursed by a powerful enchantress to repeat the autumn of his eighteenth year over and over, he knew he could be saved if a girl fell for him. But that was before he learned that at the end of each autumn, he would turn into a vicious beast hell-bent on destruction. That was before he destroyed his castle, his family, and every last shred of hope.

Nothing has ever been easy for Harper Lacy. With her father long gone, her mother dying, and her brother barely holding their family together while constantly underestimating her because of her cerebral palsy, she learned to be tough enough to survive. But when she tries to save someone else on the streets of Washington, DC, she's instead somehow sucked into Rhen's cursed world.

Break the curse, save the kingdom. 

A prince? A monster? A curse? Harper doesn't know where she is or what to believe. But as she spends time with Rhen in this enchanted land, she begins to understand what's at stake. And as Rhen realizes Harper is not just another girl to charm, his hope comes flooding back. But powerful forces are standing against Emberfall . . . and it will take more than a broken curse to save Harper, Rhen, and his people from utter ruin.


Title: Romanov
Author: Nadine Brandes
Publisher: Thomas Nelson-Fiction
Release Date: May 7, 2019
Genre: Historical Fiction/Fantasy
Request: Approved

Blurb

From the author of Fawkes comes a magical take on the story of Anastasia Romanov.

The history books say I died.

They don’t know the half of it.

Anastasia “Nastya” Romanov was given a single mission: to smuggle an ancient spell into her suitcase on her way to exile in Siberia. It might be her family’s only salvation. But the leader of the Bolshevik army is after them . . . and he’s hunted Romanov before.

Nastya’s only chances of survival are to either release the spell, and deal with the consequences, or enlist help from Zash, the handsome soldier who doesn’t act like the average Bolshevik. Nastya’s never dabbled in magic before, but it doesn’t frighten her as much as her growing attraction for Zash. She likes him. She thinks he might even like her . . .

That is, until she’s on one side of a firing squad . . . and he’s on the other.


Title: The Enchanted Sonata
Author: Heather Dixon Wallwork
Publisher: Amazon
Release Date: October 23, 2018
Genre: Fantasy
Request: Approved (maybe. Possible archiving confusion happening.) 

Blurb

Clara Stahlbaum has her future perfectly planned: to marry the handsome pianist, Johann Kahler (ah!) and settle down to a life full of music. But all that changes on Christmas Eve, when Clara receives a mysterious and magical nutcracker. 

Whisked away to his world—an enchanted empire of beautiful palaces, fickle fairies, enormous rats, and a prince—Clara must face a magician who uses music as spells…and the future she thought she wanted.

The Enchanted Sonata, a retelling of The Nutcracker Ballet with a dash of The Pied Piper, will captivate readers of all ages.


Title: The Waking Forest
Author: Alyssa Wees
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Release Date: March 12, 2019
Genre: Fantasy
Request: Pending

Blurb

The waking forest has secrets. To Rhea, it appears like a mirage, dark and dense, at the very edge of her backyard. But when she reaches out to touch it, the forest vanishes. She’s desperate to know more—until she finds a peculiar boy who offers to reveal its secrets. If she plays a game.

To the Witch, the forest is her home, where she sits on her throne of carved bone, waiting for dreaming children to beg her to grant their wishes. One night, a mysterious visitor arrives and asks her what she wishes for, but the Witch sends him away. And then the uninvited guest returns.

The strangers are just the beginning. Something is stirring in the forest, and when Rhea’s and the Witch’s paths collide, a truth more treacherous and deadly than either could ever imagine surfaces. But how much are they willing to risk to survive?


Title: Beware the Night
Author: Jessika Fleck
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Release Date: March 12, 2019
Genre: Fantasy
Request: Pending

Blurb

When her world divides, pitting light against dark, Veda must join a dangerous revolution to save her grandfather and fight against injustice...even if it costs her the boy she loves.

On the island of Bellona, life is peaceful--as long as the citizens dutifully worship the Sun, which protects them from all harm. Seventeen-year-old Veda knows that keeping the Sun happy will protect her and her grandfather from the Night, the dangerous people who snatch innocent citizens from their beds under the cover of darkness, never to be seen again. As long as Veda follows the rules, she will be safe. 

But when Veda's grandfather is offered up as the next sacrificial offering to keep the Sun's favor, she starts to see that the safety she's been promised comes at a dangerous price. Maybe there is more to fear above than there is below. 

With a mysterious young man, Dorian, at her side, Veda has to figure out if the scary bedtime stories she grew up hearing are real--or dangerous lies.


Title: Enchantee
Author: Gita Trelease
Publisher: Flatiron Books
Release Date: February 5, 2019
Genre: Historical Fiction/Fantasy
Request: Approved

Blurb

Paris in 1789 is a labyrinth of twisted streets, filled with beggars, thieves, revolutionaries—and magicians...

When smallpox kills her parents, Camille Durbonne must find a way to provide for her frail, naive sister while managing her volatile brother. Relying on petty magic—la magie ordinaire—Camille painstakingly transforms scraps of metal into money to buy the food and medicine they need. But when the coins won’t hold their shape and her brother disappears with the family’s savings, Camille must pursue a richer, more dangerous mark: the glittering court of Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette.

With dark magic forbidden by her mother, Camille transforms herself into the ‘Baroness de la Fontaine’ and is swept up into life at the Palace of Versailles, where aristocrats both fear and hunger for la magie. There, she gambles at cards, desperate to have enough to keep herself and her sister safe. Yet the longer she stays at court, the more difficult it becomes to reconcile her resentment of the nobles with the enchantments of Versailles. And when she returns to Paris, Camille meets a handsome young balloonist—who dares her to hope that love and liberty may both be possible.

But la magie has its costs. And when Camille loses control of her secrets, the game she's playing turns deadly. Then revolution erupts, and she must choose—love or loyalty, democracy or aristocracy, freedom or magic—before Paris burns…


Title: The Gilded Wolves
Author: Roshani Chokshi
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Release Date: January 15, 2019
Genre: Fantasy
Request: Denied

Blurb

Set in a darkly glamorous world, The Gilded Wolves is full of mystery, decadence, and dangerous but thrilling adventure.

Paris, 1889: The world is on the cusp of industry and power, and the Exposition Universelle has breathed new life into the streets and dredged up ancient secrets. In this city, no one keeps tabs on secrets better than treasure-hunter and wealthy hotelier, Séverin Montagnet-Alarie. But when the all-powerful society, the Order of Babel, seeks him out for help, Séverin is offered a treasure that he never imagined: his true inheritance.

To find the ancient artifact the Order seeks, Séverin will need help from a band of experts: An engineer with a debt to pay. A historian who can't yet go home. A dancer with a sinister past. And a brother in all but blood, who might care too much.

Together, they'll have to use their wits and knowledge to hunt the artifact through the dark and glittering heart of Paris. What they find might change the world, but only if they can stay alive.


Title: Dream Keeper
Author: Amber R. Duell
Publisher: The Parliament House
Release Date: January 29, 2019
Genre: Fantasy
Request: Denied

Blurb

The Sandman is seventeen-year-old Nora’s closest friend and best-kept secret. He has to be, if she doesn’t want a one-way ticket back to the psychiatrist. It took her too long to learn not to mention the hooded figure in her dreams to her mother, who still watches Nora as if she’ll crack. So when Nora’s friends start mysteriously dying gruesome deaths in their sleep, she isn’t altogether surprised when the police direct their suspicion at her. The Sandman is the only one she can turn to for answers. But the truth might be more than she bargained for…

For the last five years, the Sandman has spent every night protecting Nora. When he hid the secret to the Nightmare Lord’s escape inside her dreams, he never expected to fall in love with her. Neither did he think his nemesis would find her so quickly, but there’s no mistaking his cruel handiwork. The Nightmare Lord is tired of playing by the rules and will do anything to release his deadly nightmares into the world, even if that means tormenting Nora until she breaks.

When the Nightmare Lord kidnaps Nora’s sister, Nora must enter enemy territory to save her. The Sandman is determined to help, but if Nora isn’t careful, she could lose even more than her family to the darkness.

(Please note: This story contains vivid death scenes.)


So there you have it, ten YA books that I requested on Netgalley while I have an abysmal feedback percentage (22%). I feel like there are more big publishers in this list than in my past two rounds of YA Request Roulette, so that will probably result in fewer approvals, maybe even less than half of these requests will be approved. Hopefully I'll hear back on all of these before I hit publish on this though (in which case I will theoretically update this bit here, but maybe not). 

So what books are on your winter TBR? - Katie 

For more info or to sign up, click here.

39 comments:

  1. These all look AMAZING! Enchanted especially sounds like it's right up my alley. Thanks for featuring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the cover for Enchantee is my absolute favorite among this bunch (although I was definitely drawn to all of them for one reason or another). Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  2. Darn you! Just sign me up for all of these. Some were already on my wishlist but thanks to this post, the others are landing there as well. Nice list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm good like that. :) Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  3. OH DEAR, now I'm like, "Okay, so, I know my TBR pile is already the size of a child. But, SO MANY OF THESE sound brilliant and now I'm requesting them as well... because more books sounds like a good plan!" (But for real, someone should lock me out of my NetGalley account right the heck now.)

    I hope you get approved for some really good ones! Romanov and The Enchanted Sonata were both really fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Netgalley is a huge weakness for me...I try to avoid it except for when I play YA Request Roulette, but I have a tendency to get sucked into requesting books through emails too.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  4. These books look fantastic! :-) Enjoy these books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope to, thanks. And thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  5. I really love the covers of Romanov and The Enchanted Sonata, they remind me a lot of the Night Circus' cover! We don't get many retellings of the Nutcrackers so that would definitely be fun to read this December!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do! That's probably part of why I was so drawn to them, because I loved The Night Circus. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  6. Sky Without Stars sounds really good. Good luck getting approved for the other books. I need to read at least a couple of the three books I have yet to read on Netgalley before I request more. I hate having my approval percentage dip. I don't think I'll request ten at a time for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My feedback percentage is already abysmal...and I've got enough approvals (mostly read nows) that requesting ten books and getting approved for seven (my average from the last two rounds of request roulette I played) only drops it by 1%. I need to find some self-control. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  7. I was approved for Enchantee and Romanov too and I'm super excited to read them! I'm reading The Enchanted Sonata at the moment and it's pretty good.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/12/18/top-ten-tuesday-190/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm planning on starting Enchanted Sonata soon so I can hopefully use it for my 12 Books of Christmas reading challenge (even though I can't submit a review for it through Netgalley, I caught it on sale a couple days ago.) Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  8. I love the sound of The Waking Forest, and that cover is amazing. Definitely adding that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still crossing my fingers to get approved for it. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  9. All of these covers are gorgeous! Thanks for the heads up on Romanov, and Enchantee. I am off to add both of them to Goodreads. 📚✨

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. And you're quite welcome. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  10. I've been so impressed with the covers of all the recent and upcoming YA releases! And all the ones on this list are no exception! Romanov and The Gilded Wolves have been on my radar for a little while but now I've added a few more to my TBR, oops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YA fantasy book covers always get me. The designers do their job quite welcome. Thanks for stopping by and I apologize to your TBR. - Katie

      Delete
    2. They do indeed! Haha thank you, I think the rest of my TBR cried a little!

      Delete
  11. You have so many on this that I am hoping to read next year. Great choices

    ReplyDelete
  12. All of the covers for these books are so pretty. Wow!

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thanks for stopping by earlier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. It made it so easy to pick them. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  13. These are EXCELLENT choices!! I have A Curse So Dark and Lonely, Dream Keeper, Enchetee, and Gilded Wolves on my tbr list too!! Fingers crossed we love them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I only have access to one of those so far (and no hope for two others at this point). I'll just have to keep my eye out for them to go on sale on Amazon and snag them then. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  14. I got rejected for A Curse So Dark and Lonely too, which bummed me out since I love Brigid Kemmerer's books so much. Good luck getting approved for the rest of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering all the other blogs I've seen the book on this week, I'm not even surprised I got denied. I'll just have to keep my eyes out for it to go on sale.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  15. I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of A Curse So Dark and Lonely! I love Brigid Kemmerer's books!
    The Gilded Wolves also looks (I see green, and I need the green *grabby hands*) and sounds amazing!!!
    I hope you are approved the other books you've requested!!!
    Happy Reading!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the idea of the Netgalley roulette! The Les Mis retelling and Anastasia story are definitely going to my TBR. Thanks for stopping by my blog to comment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making a game of it kind of takes the sting out of rejection...Also, I don't really want to get approved for ten books all at once, so even when I'm mildly disappointed by a rejection from a game of roulette, I'm also mildly relieved.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  17. Beware the Night sounds really good, I hadn't heard about it before! Also I really like the cover...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am in love with the covers for The Enchanted Sonata and Beware the Night. I hope their stories are just as good as the covers. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am reading Enchantee now, so fingers crossed that we both like it! Beware the Night, Gilded Wolves, and Romanov are all ones I want to read too. And Sky Without Stars I have and it looks so good (though also, so LONG). I hope you get approved for the pending ones, too! And that you enjoy the ones you have!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm really looking forward to Romanov, and I did intend to read Heather's book this Christmas season, but didn't make time for it. Still, maybe I'll read it this winter since it's a wintry story. :) Thanks so much for the Finding Wonderland visit, Katie.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was approved for Enchantee and Corpse and Crown too - I can't wait to read them! :)

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete