Sunday, November 15, 2015

#BookBlogWriMo - Day 10 - Top Ten Favorite Books

This is not a fair topic. How am I supposed to pick my top ten favorite books when last year I couldn't even pick ten favorite books from 2014? I mean honestly, can you pick just ten books that you love more than all the others? This is going to be an agonizing blog post.

#10 - Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
I believe I read this book for the first time in eighth grade at the recommendation of my English teacher. I became somewhat obsessed with the story and it's one that I've been meaning to re-read for a while now. I also have three copies of it I believe, two at my parents house (one of those a hardback edition combined with Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte), and one with me in Germany that I found at the thrift store. Maybe one of these days I'll find the time to re-read it and see how the experience differs as an adult. 

#9 - The Man I Love by Suanne Laqueur
This book is one of my Diamonds in the Rough. It's a book with broad appeal that I really feel I could recommend to just about anyone that enjoys reading. It brutally ripped my heart out even though I knew about a heart-rending event before I even started because of the synopsis. It's billed as fiction, but it felt so real. 

#8 - Outlier: Rebellion by Daryl Banner
This book is another of my Diamonds in the Rough. It made me stop and think a lot, not because it was hard to process the ideas, but because I frequently needed to absorb them and let them settle before I could proceed. It threw a lot of feelings at me, and I want others to endure them as well. 

#7 - The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
I loved the whole trilogy. It's a series that I want to re-read, that I feel a desperate need to re-read, and I don't actually re-read books very often. I love that Katniss is such a strong character, but also compassionate when it's warranted. There is just so much to love about these books that it would have been a travesty for them to not make my list. 

#6 - 1984 by George Orwell
I believe I read this book in middle school, but it may have been freshman year of high school. I'm pretty sure it was my first adult dystopian novel and it really resonated with me. It is another book that I want to re-read now that I'm an adult to see how the experience differs. 

#5 - The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
One of my uncles sent me a copy of this book my freshman year of high school after I had rolled a mini-van and landed myself in the burn unit for twelve days. The lighthearted fare was definitely what the doctor ordered, even if I didn't start reading it until after I was able to wear my glasses again (I'd broken my nose, and spent my entire stay in the hospital unable to see much past it clearly). 

#4 - The Giver by Lois Lowry
I believe this was the first dystopian novel I ever read, and it's quite possibly responsible for my love of the genre now. It was so relatable as a child, but still fantastic and out of this world. I didn't even know it was part of a series until just recently, and now I need to read the other books (after I give The Giver a re-read of course.) 

#3 - Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
This was one of my favorite books as a child. I wanted to be Jo so badly, and have a Laurie of my very own. This is also the first book that I ever remember making me cry (I'm a bit hard-hearted, although it's softened a bit since I had children.) I never got much into Ms. Alcott's other books though. 

#2 - The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
I'm cheating a little bit on this one and using the entire series, because I seriously cannot pick just one favorite book from it. This series is an obsession for me. I have a little Hedwig sitting on my desk by my computer, I have a Gryffindor snuggie that I use on a very regular basis. I watch the movies at least twice a year, and it's my most re-read series of books. It just had to make my list. 

#1 - It by Stephen King
Stephen King is my all-time favorite author, and It is my all-time favorite Stephen King book. I feel like the reason it's so terrifying and therefore my favorite Stephen King book is because It is different for everyone person based on what they are most afraid of, so even though my biggest fear never made an appearance, if I were to encounter It, it would still be horrible. 




So there you have it. I narrowed down all my favorite books to give you a list with just ten! Are any of my favorite books your favorite books? Which ones? What are some of your other favorite books? - Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment