Monday, October 2, 2017

*Top Ten Tuesday* Book Boyfriends/Girlfriends


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Joood - Hooligan of Platypire reviews bossed me into doing this, so I guess this is a thing I do now. 

This weeks theme is book boyfriends or girlfriends. Now I don't really do the whole book boyfriend thing because not only can I not commit to just one book guy at a time, but I'm typically more than happy to move on to the next guy once I've had my way with the current one. That being said, some of my book flings have been more memorable than others, so let's talk about them, shall we.

1: Rudy from The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - Not only did this kid jump into a freezing river in the middle of winter to save a book for Liesel, but even though he did not have much food at home himself, he once took some of his own bread to spread out for the Jewish prisoners being marched through their little town.

2: Kristoff from The Lost Letter by Jillian Cantor - There are so may reasons why I loved Kristoff, but most of them are rather spoilery, so I'll just say that the fact that as an Austrian in the late 30s, he wanted to take part in the religious customs of his engraving masters Jewish family really touched me.

3: Carter Stevens from Diving Under by Ginna Moran - Helped Ava get on a yacht even though she's deathly afraid of the ocean; check. Went out of his way to help her feel safe on said yacht; check. Saved her life; check. And that's just what happens in the first few chapters of Diving Under. There's so much more that makes him awesome in the rest of the book and series.

4: Raymond from Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman - Raymond is not your typical book boyfriend. He's described by Eleanor as being rather slovenly in fact. He's not even Eleanor's love interest, but just a friend who didn't expect anything more than that. And he was a great friend to Eleanor in spite of herself.

5: Matty from Gathering Blue and Messenger by Lois Lowry - Matty is a little scamp, but he has a heart of gold. He was willing to risk his own life just to help Kira and to save his village. He was also never a love interest.

6: Ian from Everything We Keep by Kerry Lonsdale - So Ian basically gets friend-zoned so hard by Aimee, who lost her fiancee like a week before their wedding in a freak boating accident. The thing is, Aimee just can't accept that James is dead. So when she gets the notion that James is alive in Mexico, Ian goes with her to try and track him down, expecting nothing in return.

7: Ethan Scott from Taste Test by L.B. Dunbar - Ethan Scott can cook amazing food and he's a sweet beta boy-next-door type. I couldn't help falling in love with him.

8: Jesse Drake from Separation Anxiety by Lisa Suzanne - I may shy away from book boyfriend commitment, but if Jesse Drake called me again, I would answer. There is just something about him I can't resist.

9: Tyrion Lannister from A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R.R. Martin - I can't really get into why I like Tyrion so much without spoilers, but I think if you've read the books or seen the show, you'll understand why he made my list.

10: Laurie from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott - Laurie was my first book boyfriend and I'm still upset that he didn't end up with Jo. In spite of that, he was still an amazing guy.

So there you have it. Ten of my favorite book boyfriends. You may have noticed a trend in my choices (I sure did). I think I pretty clearly like nice guys who are perfectly happy just being friends if that's all the woman is looking for. Then I just hope she sees what she has in him.

So do you have any nice guys to recommend for me?

Who are some of your favorite book boyfriends? - Katie

*If you're stopping by from the linkup, please be sure to leave a link to your review so I can check out your list.*

Have you joined the 12 Books of Christmas Challenge yet? Learn more and sign up here!

34 comments:

  1. I completely see where you're coming from with Laurie. I still think he should be with Jo!
    https://mylifethroughfiction.wordpress.com/2017/10/03/top-ten-tuesday/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there is always another book boyfriend.

    https://readerbuzz.blogspot.com/2017/10/childrens-picture-books-you-need-to.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the nature of the beast. :) Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  3. So do I! Laurie and Jo were the perfect match. I was disappointed when he married Amy instead.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. My only consolation there is that Jo was his first choice and it's her fault they're not together. They still should have been. - Katie

      Delete
  4. Oh my goodness, Rudy is just too precious! I fell in love with this adorable little boy while reading the book.. and then, in the movie, Nico Liersch really brought him to life!

    Also, Tyrion is love..

    - http://anerdyaffair.wixsite.com/scribblesonascreen/single-post/2017/10/03/Swoon-worthy-Bookish-Characters-Top-Ten-Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen the movie yet...I only just finished the book at the beginning of September, and I've been busy with other stuff since then and not had time to watch the movie. Soon though.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  5. Wow! They all sound so awesome! Makes me really want to check these books out!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laurie is a fab choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was pretty much no way he wasn't making my list :) Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  7. Rudy is such a sweet boy, he was my favourite character from "The Book Thief". I also agree with everything you said about Laurie.

    Carmen / Carmen`s Reading Corner

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost used Liesel instead of Rudy for this list, but then I remembered all the sweet things he did for her and that decided things for me. They were just both such great characters in their own ways.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  8. SO with you on Laurie and Jo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was such the obvious choice! Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  9. Rudy from The Book Thief was just such a sweetheart! And I totally get why Tyrion made your list as well :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I was always hoping Liesel would give in and give him that kiss he kept asking for. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  10. I can't believe I've never read any of these books. I'm gonna have to check some of these out! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend pretty much all of them. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  11. Tyrion is such a cool character...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He really is. I'm going to be sad when HBO or Martin kills him off. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  12. Aww Rudy is adorable! I didn't actually think of him for my list, I think cause he's so young, I always thought of him more as cute than crush worthy.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/10/03/top-ten-tuesday-127/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, a lot of my guys made the list because of how they act with the leading ladies, so it's not necessarily that I'd want to date them, I just want to be with someone like them, or I'd want my daughter dating someone like them (when she's older, she's only 6 right now.)

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  13. I almost went with Tyrion. I'm glad I switched to the better choice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would have been mortified if we'd had the same person on our lists. Seriously, that would have been awful! - Katie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE NICE BOYS!!! They often make my list as well. I'm too tired to decide whether any on my list fit your criteria though...

    Also, while I've only seen the TV show, I am a Tyrion fan as well...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Well, when you're feeling more awake you'll have to let me know about those nice guys. - Katie

      Delete
  16. I sadly haven't read any of these books!
    I believe I need to add some to my TBR.
    You have showed me that there are some good potential boyfriends in these books.
    Great list!
    Ashley @ Books To The Tea
    http://bookstothetea.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I had Laurie on my list, too. I just reread the book this past year and still wished that Jo ended up with Laurie. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tyrion! Yes, Yes, Yes! Laurie is also a great pick. I've not read any of the others but they all sound like lovely young men!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aw, Laurie is a favorite of mine too. I've never read the book, but do love his character in the film... and I'm very excited about the new adaptation!!

    Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland, Katie. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love Rudy so much. I'm totally Team Laurie as well. I did read it year ago however and I'm kind of curious to see if my taste has changed. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I also don't really do the book boyfriends/girlfriends thing! But I would have to agree about Laurie and Rudy :)

    ReplyDelete