Tuesday, November 17, 2015

#BookBlogWriMo - Day 12 - Favorite Book Reviews (That I've Written)

This is a tough topic for me. While I'm proud of the reviews I write when I post them, when I go read other bloggers reviews (and I do, especially on Platypire Reviews because I've found that the Platypires have pretty good taste in books), I feel like my reviews are garbage. I know I'm probably my own worst critic (it seems to be true in most areas of my life), but the lack of comments and interaction on my reviews posted here, on Goodreads, and on Amazon when I see other reviews with so many comments is rather disheartening. I imagine it's sort of how authors feel when their books don't have many reviews, especially compared to other books.

So how does a person pick their favorite book reviews when they feel like they're all garbage? This person is going to use reviews that she knows yielded a response of some sort, either comments from people I don't know on Goodreads or Amazon, or authors that have taken lines from my review to use along with promotions for their books.

The first review up is Revolt! by Terry Ray. This review earned me a comment on Goodreads (the first positive comment I've ever received from a stranger on Goodreads that wasn't the author of the book the review was written for). That commenter also happens to be an author and this review led her to the blog which also led to her submitting a review request because she likes the way I review books.

The next review is The Sweet Life by Dulce Candy Ruiz. While grabbing a link to share of a review I wrote a few days ago, I noticed that this review was one of my top ten reviews in the past thirty days, and I wrote it two months ago. So I went looking on the blog and it has around 140 views, which is seven times the views that my average review receives. That got me wondering why it not only had so many views but was once again one of my most viewed blog posts, so I did a little internet investigating. This is what I found! After Goodreads, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble, my review is the top result on Google for anyone looking for a review of Dulce's book. That is HUGE for me.

Another review that makes me proud is The Man I Love by Suanne Laqueur. She recently had The Man I Love on sale, and I noticed on the graphic a line from my review, part of the first line from my review actually. It's really a heady feeling to be scrolling through Facebook and see an ad for a book you loved that includes part of your review.

I think there are other reviews I've written that have been mentioned or had excerpts shared by the authors, but I can't remember which ones they are (or when I wrote them to go find their links) right now, so I'll just wrap this up now. If you'd like, feel free to scroll through some of my past reviews and let me know which ones are your favorite. - Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment