Wednesday, November 18, 2015

#IABBAddict: Turning Pages Anthology

Check out more information on #IABBAddicts here
Join us every Thursday for IABB #Confessions

About the Book

The anthology will only be available through the first part of January 2016.

Title: Turning Pages

Pages: 152

Genre: Various (including romance, sci-fi, mystery, erotica)

Date published
: January 9, 2015

Synopsis:
This is an anthology of short stories benefiting Literacy Lubbock, a charity that helps teach adults to read. Included in the anthology are seven stories about change. Several different genres are represented, so there's something for everyone.

Peaceful Easy Feeling by Freedom Chevalier
The Firefly by Nina Ceves
R.O.S.E Riders of Sins Eternal by Ava Morgan Brown
Luxury Suite by Gabe Franklin
The Scarlet Butterfly by Sinead White
Dismay by Janie E.M. Storer
Accused by Denise Malone


Excerpt
Accused by Denise Malone
The day I graduated from college was supposed to be the best day of my life.  I’d completed 17 years of education.  I was supposed to be prepared for the rest of my life, but none of that education prepared me for my graduation day.  I was educated, free, and young, with prospects galore.  I had interviews to go on, contacts to make, networking to do, a stage to walk, and a diploma to collect.  I’d earned it.  I was looking forward to it.  But instead of graduating, I was spending my time in a police station, being questioned in the disappearance of my best friend and roommate of the last four years, and in the murder of my boyfriend; ex-boyfriend and ex-best friend as of the previous evening.
A mere 24 hours before, I was blissfully happy, but today was a different story.  My graduation was taking place while I was sitting in an interview room, handcuffed to the table, waiting for the police officer to come back into the room.
The door opened, and a relatively young, attractive man in a suit entered.  I wasn’t sure who he was.  For some reason, I was expecting the uniformed officer that arrested me to be there, but he wasn’t.
“Ms. Duncan?  I’m Detective Martinez,” he said, as he sat across the table from me.
“Please, call me Mags.  Everyone does,” I replied.  I would’ve offered him my hand to shake, but they were still cuffed to the table.
“Okay, Mags, do you know why you’re here?” he asked.
“Yes, sir.  My ex-boyfriend was murdered, and my ex-best friend is missing,” I replied, as I began crying.  The detective reached into his jacket, pulled out a little packet of tissues, and handed them to me.
“Thank you,” I managed between sobs.  Trying to wipe my eyes was difficult, so the detective stood and pulled his keys from his pocket.  He uncuffed me and left the keys on the table beside the handcuffs.  He pulled his jacket off and draped it over the back of his chair before sitting down again.  I wiped my eyes and blew my nose.  Then I rubbed each wrist where the handcuffs had been.  It felt good to be free of them.
“I understand the arresting officer read you your Miranda rights.  Is that correct?”
“Yes, sir.  He told me I didn’t have to say anything because it could and would be used against me in court.  And I haven’t done anything wrong, so I don’t need an attorney.  I don’t have anything to hide.”
“Okay.  You’ve lived with Courtney Mills for four years.  Is that correct?”
“Yes, sir.”
“And you’ve dated Brandon Wade for those same four years?”
“Yes, sir.”
“Then, why did you call them your ex-best friend and ex-boyfriend?” he asked.

 About the Charity

The first and foremost goal of Literacy Lubbock is to make a difference in as many people's lives as possible. Literacy Lubbock is a Lubbock Area United Way Partner Agency. We strive to improve the lives for those who need adult education by offering Free of Charge classes or tutors in adult education. Our program includes GED, English as a Second Language, Dyslexia, Learning Difference, College Prep, Essay, Math and Reading Classes.

Literacy Lubbock was founded on the idea of helping those in need who are 18 or over. Ever since our organization was established, we have endeavored to provide help where the need is greatest.

Our class room teachers and tutors are made up entirely of volunteers. We advocate for those who need our help. Even a little help goes a long way.

That is why we are especially happy to find new volunteers who share our commitment to adult education. Reading is Forever. Do you want to support us by helping with our work? Then do not hesitate to contact us. A helping hand is always greatly appreciated!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this anthology. Hopefully, we can make a difference in some people's lives through these short stories. :)

    ReplyDelete