Sunday, October 8, 2017

*Review* Strike a Pose by Ginna Moran


Genre: YA Romance
Published: September 26, 2017
Pages: 300



Meeting celebrities is nothing new for seventeen-year-old Sage Meadows, whose father is a famous artist and whose mother is the CEO of Shine So Bright, a celebrity-backed non-profit organization. Though her parents discourage a famous lifestyle, Sage can’t help but dream of all the possibilities when she’s surrounded by the glitz and glamour of Hollywood.

An embarrassing incident involving high heels at a charity gala thrown by her mother sends Sage crashing into the arms of Cole Vettel, an up-and-coming singer and the son of a legendary musician. Dating Cole turns Sage’s sheltered life into a media frenzy, and a few negative comments from Cole’s fans push Sage to discover what she desires from the celebrity world.

Wanting more than fame by association, Sage goes against her parents’ wishes for a normal life and pursues a modeling career under a renowned designer she met at a celebrity party. But fame turns out to be more of a nightmare than dream. With the world suddenly following her every move and the tabloids determined to destroy her confidence, Sage must learn to withstand the heat of the spotlight before she gets burned.


I was hired to proofread this book. The only aspects of the story that I influenced were the spelling and grammar. If you feel that my connection to the book makes my review untrustworthy, so be it, but this is my honest review.

This is the second book in the Falling Into Fame series, but it can absolutely be read as a standalone. It features an almost entirely different set of characters than If This Was a Movie, although there are a few cameos from the first book, but knowing their story is not necessary for this one to make sense.

I think Cole Vettel is my new favorite book boyfriend, and I don't typically do the book boyfriend thing. But Cole is a quality kind of guy, the kind of guy you would want your teenage daughter to date. He's sweet, considerate, and he genuinely wants Sage's parents to like him, so he makes the effort to ensure they do. I don't think I could imagine a better book boyfriend than that, for my daughter, who is far too young for this book at the moment, but in six to eight years this is the kind of romance I'd want her to be reading.

While I'd be thrilled to have my daughter reading this story for the romance involved, there are other elements to the story that give me some reason to be concerned. You see, Sage's relationship will Cole leads to some rebelliousness in her and she starts lying to her parents about what she's doing. That's not the kind of behavior that I'd like to encourage in my children (although I'm not naive enough to believe that it's never going to happen). And even though I rarely felt the need to lie to my parents about my activities as a teenager (they were pretty easy-going and I was mostly responsible), I really related to Sage's perspective. Her parents basically pushed her into lying to them by being unreasonable about her relationship with Cole.

So apparently I am at that weird age where I still enjoy YA romance (because I really enjoyed this story), but I also can't help but thinking about the characters being my children rather than me, which makes the reading experience just a little bit different.

Overall I give Strike a Pose 4.872 stars. - Katie 



Ginna Moran is the author of an array of both paranormal and contemporary young adult novels including the Demon Within, Falling into Fame, and Spark of Life series. 

She started writing poetry as a teenager in a spiral notebook that she still has tucked away on her desk today. Her love of writing grew after she graduated high school and she completed her first unpublished manuscript at age eighteen.

When she realized her love of writing was her life’s passion, she studied literature at Mira Costa College in Northern San Diego. Besides writing young adult novels, she was senior editor, content manager, and image coordinator for Crescent House Publishing Inc. for four years.

Aside from Ginna’s professional life, she enjoys binge watching television shows, playing pretend with her daughter, and cuddling with her dogs. Some of her favorite things include chocolate, anything that glitters, cheesy jokes, and organizing her bookshelf.

Ginna is currently hard at work on her next novel.
SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment