Monday, January 16, 2023

*B Movie Monday* The Jurassic Games

 


Welcome to another installment of B Movie Monday, where I watch a low budget film and tell you all about it. These posts will contain spoilers, so if you think you might want to watch the movie without knowing what happens, quit reading now. 

This week's movie is The Jurassic Games. 


Genre: Sci-fi/Horror
Watched on: Vudu
Duration: 1 hour 26 minutes
Originally aired: July 3, 2018
Directed by: Ryan Bellgardt
Starring: Ryan Merriman, Perrey Reeves and Adam Hampton
Please see IMDb for full cast and crew information. 

Synopsis

In the near future, 10 death row convicts are forced to compete in a virtual reality game that pits them against dinosaurs and each other.

Review

This week I talked my husband into watching my B movie with me on the condition that he got to pick the movie. Guys, he SUCKS at picking a real example of a B movie. While I'm sure this movie was not on any blockbuster lists, it wasn't bad, not like the last two movies. I'm probably going to have to go back to watching my B movies alone. 

From the start it was obvious that this movie was like The Hunger Games meets Death Race, held in Jurassic Park. You take contestants who have been convicted of heinous crimes and offer them the chance at freedom, if they survive the games providing entertainment for the masses. While the premise seems a little out there, it was pretty well established from the start. And it mimicked some actual blockbusters. If this was designed to be a comedy, I would compare it to The Scary Movie franchise, honestly. 

There were a couple low points in the execution of the story. A couple of the contestants in the games lacked flavor, and acting skills, and the graphics could've used some work, but they weren't egregiously bad. Like there were no dinosaurs cutting corners through walls in defiance of physics, even though they were computer generated like in The Hunger Games and that kind of behavior could even be explained away. At one point a few did just disappear from within the games at the Host's command to build the drama and tension, but it felt logical. There aren't even any events in the movie for me to make fun of for just being completely absurd, because they were set up well by the rest of the story. 

In the end, I feel like I'm cheating even using this for my feature this week, my only justification is that it really wasn't my choice and I would have picked one that looked like a better representation of what I consider a B movie from the get go if I'd been selecting the movie. I would absolutely watch this movie again, un-ironically, and not just to laugh at it. - Katie 

Favorite Quote

"It's called foreplay Savannah. You might want to try it sometime."

Buy the Movie


No comments:

Post a Comment