Monday, May 21, 2018

*Top Ten Tuesday* Best Character Names (May 22)


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. Joood - Hooligan of Platypire reviews bossed me into doing this, so I guess this is a thing I do now. 

This weeks theme is best character names. And you know, I just don't know what to do with this topic. See, I'm rather partial to characters named Katie, especially if they die. I have this thing where I try to get authors to write me into stories just to kill me off, but aside from those books, I don't actually encounter very many Katies in my reading. If I'm reading historical I find a few more Katherines (which is also acceptable), but even those are rather sparse in my experience. And I get it. Those are super common names and authors want their characters to stand out, but I'd love to see more Katies in my reading.

But aside from characters named Katie/Katherine, I really like characters with alliterative names. If I learn a characters first and last name within a story, it's much easier for me to remember them if they start with the same letter. Most of the examples of this that I can think of off the top of my head are in comic books, which I don't read, but it doesn't change the fact that I like the names. So here we go, ten characters with alliterative names.

Ava Adair from the Spark of Life series by Ginna Moran
Peter Pan from Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie
Bilbo Baggins from The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Willy Wonka from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl
Luna Lovegood from The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
Tiny Tim from A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Meg March from Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
Peter Parker from Spiderman by Stan Lee
Bruce Banner from The Incredible Hulk by Stan Lee
Marty McFly from Back to the Future by Robert Zemeckis and Bob Gale (Pop Classic book linked by Kim Smith).

So there you go, ten alliterative character names, and I only had to pull two from comic books and then one from a movie (and if you have small children, the Back to the Future Pop Classics book is absolutely adorable).

What are some of your favorite alliterative (or non-alliterative) character names? - Katie

*If you're stopping by from the linkup, please be sure to drop a link to your post below so I can stop by and check out your list.*
SaveSaveSaveSave

31 comments:

  1. Luna Lovegood is a great one, I just like how it sounds. Marty McFly is another one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's also a rather brilliant character :) Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  2. I love that all the Love, CA MC names are alliterations—Verena Valent, Scarlett Sandoval, Fianna Fitzgerald, Dahlia Dubois, Penelope Plessan, & Elena Eaton—and that might have inspired my new fondness (Ava Adair, Nora Novak, Eli Evans, Ryan Reyes, Skye Stone, Luke Landon.)

    Thanks for including Ava btw! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I knew you had more alliterative names, but while I was creating this list, I seriously brain-farted and couldn't remember any of the rest of them. I was so stuck on Spark of Life and didn't even manage to get to Starla Stevens in that. :) - Katie

      Delete
    2. Um, if it makes you feel better, you just informed me that Starla’s last name is Stevens. I never wrote it together, but I guess since it’s Carter’s haha.

      Delete
    3. Well maybe that's why I didn't get to it until reading your list of other alliterative names then. :) Makes me feel a little bit better about that at least. - Katie

      Delete
  3. I understand your parziality towards Katie, I'm liked that sometime but my name is less commonly used. Most of the time it's in contemporary and usually the spoiled, bratty other woman so it's hard to like them. But yeah, Victoria has a kind of vibe to it.

    My list: https://fantasyraiders.wordpress.com/2018/05/22/top-ten-tuesday-how-do-you-pronounce-it-names/#more-8421

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd think you'd find rather a lot of Victoria's in historical, it's a classic name...but it's not one that I'd necessarily notice specifically or the lack of it, so I'll definitely take your word for it. I think you're right about her being the "other woman" in contemporary though because that does seem to be a trend.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  4. I love the name Ava. It is so beuatiful.

    My TTT: http://flippingthruthepages.com/2018/05/ten-diverse-books-of-2018-on-my-tbr-with-character-names-in-the-title/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...And she's one of my favorite characters, although I like her mate, Carter, even more.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  5. I love your picks!!! Ava is such a beautiful name!! Also loving the superhero names on your list!! Great choice!

    https://readingwithjessica.wordpress.com/2018/05/22/top-ten-tuesday-best-character-names/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to stay away from super hero names as much as possible because I don't actually read comic books (I just cannot get into them), but these two would not stop knocking around in my head while I was trying to think of other characters from books with alliterative names.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  6. I love Luna - her name and pretty much everything else about her. Wonderful list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. I think she's probably my favorite character in Harry Potter...well maybe Dobby is my favorite, but Luna is my favorite human. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  7. I like that you have chosen names with alliteration like Peter Pan, Bilbo Baggins, Marty McFly. It makes them easy to remember. My TTT Dickens Names

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does help with remember the last names at least (I mean, most first names for main characters tend to be memorable anyway). Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  8. Alliteration is so much fun in fictional character's names. In real life, not so much. But I love Luna - she was one of the best parts of Harry Potter.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I kind of agree...I also find the families that name all their kids with the same first initial a little annoying in real life (and I felt that way before I discovered the Duggars.) Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
    2. My mom did that to us - we're all A names but thankfully there are only three of us. :D

      Delete
    3. I've gone to school with a couple different families that did that...one of them had 5 kids, all A names, the other that I can think of off the top of my head had 4 kids, all K names. I would think that would make yelling at the correct kid that much more difficult when they all start with the same letter. LOL. - Katie

      Delete
  9. I also love Bilbo Baggins. It's just so fun to say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. When I was growing up we had a dog named Bilbo after Bilbo Baggins...so even though I've never actually read The Hobbit or seen the movies, I'm quite familiar with him.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  10. Luna's name was on my list this week too. I feel you with never seeing your name in books, on the rare occasion when I do see a book character named Jo, they're always a Josephine, not a Joanne!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/05/22/top-ten-tuesday-160/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Women immediately comes to mind when you say Jo, but she is Josephine. I feel almost like Joanne probably just doesn't get shortened when it's used as a character name because it seems so short to begin with. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. They do have some really original names, don't they? Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  12. Peter Pan and Peter Parker are definitely two great names! Awesome list Katie! :) <3

    My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Names with alliteration seem to roll off the tongue. Peter Pan is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree...They just flow so smoothly. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  14. Love your name choices - Marty McFly is the best! :D

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete