Monday, January 9, 2023

*Discussion Questions* City of Nightmares by Rebecca Schaeffer *SPOILERS*

  I have spent a few years in a couple of different book clubs now, and I've led my fair share of discussions (so every time it was my turn in the rotation to pick a book basically, although I've been slacking a little in my current book club). I can't tell you how many times I've finished a book that I'd chosen for our meeting, only to realize that I couldn't think of a single question to ask (and I'd forgotten to consider that while reading). In those instances I would run to the interwebs to search for discussion questions, just hoping that someone else had been kind enough to think of questions and share them with the world. I had about a 50% success rate with that. 

I had to work a little bit to think of enough questions for City of Nightmares to warrant a post, but I did have a few while reading so I wanted to make this one happen. 


1) Did you think that the city was dosing the citizens with medicine without their knowledge in the beginning? 

2) Would you risk turning into a nightmare by imbibing in alcohol, knowing that it made the anti-dream drugs ineffective?

3) What is your worst fear?

4) Why is it that people find things sexy in fiction that would creep them out in real life?

5) Would you take pills to keep nightmares at bay now if they existed? Why or why not?

6) Do you think most people consciously choose to turn into nightmares like Ruby probably did?

7) Did you notice the emphasis on characters skin color? What did you think of it? Do you think there was a reason for it?

8) Do you think telling the cops about Cy would have cleared Ness's name?

9) What do you think the Nightmare Phantom intends to do now that he's free?

10) Why do you think he was locked up in the first place? 

11) Do you think he'll be the main character of a sequel if there is one?

And that's all the questions I came up with for this book. I hope that these will help you get the conversation flowing should you choose to read this book with your book club. Are there any questions you would ask (and if you comment any, may I add them to the list?) - Katie 


No comments:

Post a Comment