Friday, February 3, 2023

*Book Blogger Hop* Favorite Childhood Genre (Feb 3)



We are on to a new week for the Book Blogger Hop hosted by the lovely folks over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. This weeks questions is: 

What was your favorite genre to read as a child? Do you still read that genre, or do you read something else now? (submitted by Mark @ Carstairs Considers)

When I was a child I really liked ghost stories and anything that billed itself as a scary story. But I also got really into WWII fiction after reading The Devil's Arithmetic or Number the Stars in school, so that became another favorite genre. And finally I really liked historical fiction about girls (A Girl of the Limberlost, Little House on the Prairie, Caddie Woodlawn). Really anything that made me use my imagination to picture things described was on my list of things I wanted to read. So I didn't really have one favorite genre then, just like I don't have one favorite genre now. I do still love reading scary stories (I have an entire shelf dedicated to Stephen King's work) and I'm still fascinated by WWII and want to read all the books about it that I can find. I don't read many historical fiction books about girls anymore, but when they feature strong independent women, well those are right up my alley. 

I'd say that I've branched out more as an adult, but since I was already reading books from almost every genre in 8th grade, that would be pretty close to a lie. The only genre I've added as an adult is erotica, and I started that right at 18 when I was still in high school before 50 Shades of Gray and ebooks existed. 

What about you? What was your favorite genre as a child and do you still read it? If you're stopping by from the linkup, please be sure to drop a link to your post so I can pay you a visit as well. - Katie 

5 comments:

  1. I never really had a favorite genre as a child, I chose to explore all genres then. Today I am the same way I suppose, I like so many different genres. I do tend to gear towards the psychological thriller genre lately. But I try to make myself go out of my comfort zone and try something new, but it is hard for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's kind of how I am...I tend to go on genre kicks where I just want to read a bunch of one type of book until I'm almost sick of it and then I find a new genre fascination. It makes requesting books on Netgalley a little dangerous because I might not be in the mood for that particular genre anymore when I'm supposed to be reading it. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
    2. Exactly, and I hate to say this but sometimes I get tired of reading psychological thrillers, so I venture out big time and read something totally different. Have a wonderful weekend Katie, and it was a pleasure reading your blog. I have been following you for awhile now. πŸ˜‰

      Delete
  2. A Girl in the Limberlost is one of my child favorites. I like to read a variety too. Even though I favored mysteries for a long time, I still liked to mix it up. I don't so much have a favorite genre now. Thank you for sharing! I hope you have a great week.

    Here's my BBHOP: https://www.literaryfeline.com/2023/02/where-is-your-bookmark-peek-into.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie,

    I am just letting everyone know that I follow on BBH, etc. that I am going to try something new (well, new for me) out. I know that there are other memes similar to this, but I just thought I would do it since Lia doesn’t blog any longer. So let’s see how it goes. I have joined a lot of other memes so maybe you could ‘pay it forward’ and join mine and pass me on if you would be so kind πŸ˜‰

    https://imintobooks.com/join-the-fun-down-the-tbr-hole-linky-widget-and-info-dttbrh/

    ReplyDelete