Sunday, February 19, 2023

*Review* Foul is Fair by Elisse Hay

 

Genre: Paranormal
Published: January 24, 2023
Pages: 318


I like my monsters like my coffee—strong, hot, and not trying to kill me.

I’m done with hunting down supernatural criminals. Fighting for my life everyday gets old. So, career change. Social worker for supernaturals is a way to use my skills in a no risk environment. Right?

Wrong.

It turns out the last witch in my role was slaughtered by a lycanthrope—and the prime suspect is my client who happens to be pure, forbidden deliciousness. Totally irrelevant. I get paid to support the vulnerable, not lust after them. Or assume they’re guilty unless proven innocent.

But the cops are outgunned. The wizards are morally bankrupt. And the lycans are concealing information.

There’s someone powerful, clever, and armed with inside knowledge who’s getting rich running drugs. Someone lurking behind a network of faeries and lycanthropes. Someone corrupt enough to kill to keep their secrets.

I’m a witch. I’m not going down without a fight.



"It is my professional opinion that all civilians should be evacuated immediately to minimize mind control, disembowelment, and/or general shitfuckery."

"You're setting yourself up for some body shaming there, mate, and I am this close to not rising above it."


I received a copy of this book through Netgalley while playing a round of Netgalley Request Roulette featuring debut authors. This is my honest review. 

I obviously had no idea what to expect from this author as this is her first book, and I was quite pleased with what I got. Rory is a sassy witch who may have a slight problem with authority figures...but that may also only apply when those authority figures are egocentric wizards. The book starts with a pretty traumatic event that leads Rory to changing jobs, and throughout the book it's obvious that she's still dealing with PTSD from that event. But she works hard to not let that event color her views of others she encounters, no matter how much they may remind her of her past trauma. 

The story is told entirely through Rory's eyes, which gives it a great air of mystery as she tries to solve the murder of her predecessor (out of necessity, really, because her life could also be in danger now) while also figuring out how to do her job as a Caretaker without completely pissing off the wizard in charge who is rather incompetent. There were twists and reveals that I did not pick up on until Rory had mentioned them as possibilities, and I'm usually pretty good at seeing those kinds of things coming from a mile away. 

I definitely wanted to keep reading to see what would happen next, and where things would go between Rory and Beo. I'd love to see more from Lilith, or at least more of Lilith, but a book from her perspective I think could be pretty awesome. This is an author I will definitely be keeping my eyes out for. 

Overall I give this book 4.13 out of 5 stars. - Katie 




Elisse lives on the unceded land of the Kulin Nation in Australia. She loves hanging out with her three awesome kids, plays a variety of the nerdiest games she can find with her partner in crime, and considers a week incomplete if she hasn’t eaten pesto. You’ll most likely find her somewhere comfy with a coffee, a cat or dog and space to share with good humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment