Saturday, November 15, 2014

#BookBlogWriMo - Day 15 - Favorite Blogging Things

Um, so not sure what I'm really supposed to write about here, so I'm going to make it a bit of a free for all about the things I love about blogging.

Friends. In my real life, I don't have a lot of friends that like to read. In fact, most of my "friends" kind of make fun of me for enjoying reading so much. I don't even have a fellow reader in my husband, which I'm realizing is kind of sad, but I still love him anyway. Since Courtney made me start blogging with her, though, I've made several Facebook friends that share my love of reading, that I feel a real connection with, and I never have to change out of my comfy clothes or leave my comfort zone. It's great.

The books! I have found some amazing books because of blogging. I have new authors that I will buy everything they ever write because I love their writing style. Then there's the fact that people actually sort of care about what I have to say about the books that I read. It's really cool feeling like my opinion matters.

It encourages me to read more. In 2013, my Goodreads reading goal was 50 books for the year. I ended up reading 62 (granted I read the first three Game of Thrones books and Atlas Shrugged in 2013, and those are not small books, but I only read 62 books in the whole year). This year I doubled my goal to 100. It's November 11th at the time of writing this, and I've already read 127 books. I've surpassed my goal, and doubled last years numbers (although my pages read may be similar). I don't necessarily need encouragement to read, but I do find Facebook to be mighty distracting, so I don't read as much as I did when I was younger. Blogging has helped to change that.

The authors. Authors actually come to me, asking me to read their books because they've read my reviews and appreciate their detail (I've had authors tell me that before). Authors have always been my idols, so having some of them wanting me specifically to read their books is like the best drug in the world. And it's a drug I'm not planning on giving up any time soon. - Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment