Monday, November 10, 2014

#BookBlogWriMo - Day 10 - Memes we Meme

meme
mēm/
noun
  1. an element of a culture or system of behavior that may be considered to be passed from one individual to another by nongenetic means, especially imitation.
    • a humorous image, video, piece of text, etc. that is copied (often with slight variations) and spread rapidly by Internet users.

Full disclosure, I had to look up the definite of "meme" to make sure I write this blog post accurately. In my mind, a meme always includes a picture, like the Game of Thrones "One does not simply (insert action here)" meme that I'm personally awfully fond of.
After I wrote that I realized I could actually insert a picture of the meme. I may be getting too old to use the internet. But by looking up the definition of meme, I found that pictures need not be involved, which means that we occasionally meme here at Just Another Girl and Her Books, at least on Facebook.

Our most popular meme, and I think this probably holds true for most Facebook pages, is #TeaserTuesday. As a street team member myself, Tuesday is the best day to get my requisite weekly author pimps in. One Tuesday I actually pimped one of my authors 54 times, I know this because she told me. And it's clear that a lot of street team members do the same thing, and that's awesome. We love the interaction and the teasers posted on Tuesdays. 

Other memes that we've used include #ManCrushMonday, although that one seems to be basically a flop. We get a couple people that will share with us favorite male authors or hotties, etc. but nowhere near the interaction that we get on Tuesday, and it kind of baffles me because book boyfriends are part of the category, so really anyone could basically pimp anything they want on that post too.

We've also engaged in #ThrowbackThursday, both with books from childhood and I posted a picture of myself as a child, back when I was cute and couldn't read, well it was either when I was cute and couldn't read or it was my mullet picture because sadly I had one of those when I was younger. We tried to do #ThankfulThursday and #ThunderclapThursday, but neither of those caught on at all. (In case you haven't noticed, I've basically decided that any hashtag we've used is the equivalent of a meme. Someone will probably be along shortly to revoke my internet privileges. Should that happen, it's been nice knowing you.) 

We don't really meme often though, because I get easily discouraged by lack of interaction (translation: when you guys no talk to me, it make me sad). But I'm also forgetful and sometimes I get busy and don't realize that I haven't posted the days intended hashtag until like 9 pm my time, which is only 3 in the afternoon on the East Coast, but that still seems a bit late to be trying to get interaction, so I just don't. But maybe after reading this you'll feel sorry for me and start interacting more (hint, hint) and I'll do better about posting my daily hashtags. Or not. - Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment