Sunday, November 9, 2014

#BookBlogWriMo - Day 9 - #BlogFlo

Today I get to share with you my blogging process and rituals. I'm not sure I really have any. Like I said yesterday, I still feel like we're fumbling around here at Just Another Girl and Her Books and I don't really have a routine down for blogging, but while I'm very much a creature of habit, I'm not a routine kind of person. I always order the same foods at my family's favorite restaurants (Cajun Chicken pasta or a Triple Dipper at Chile's, cold cut combo sub on honey oat at Subway, chicken club from Burger King just to name a few) but I'm really no good at sticking to a schedule so I just go with the flow pretty much all the time.  I think the closest thing to a routine I have is reading the book at the last minute and then writing a quick review on it right away.

I have tried to read books a little in advance to give myself some time to digest them, and ponder them, and give myself a few days to come up with an absolutely stellar review, and every time I've felt like those reviews were worse than my last minute ones. I've always kind of done my best work under pressure, although I didn't really ever try it any other way while I was in school. Right now with #NaNoWriMo, I typically sit down at my computer at about 9 in the evening after getting the kids to bed, then I goof off on Facebook or Goodreads or check on the blog page (still on Facebook) until about 10:30 when I say "Shit. I have an hour and a half to write almost 1,700 words," and then I do it. At the end of day 8, I was still on track. When I try to start writing earlier than that, I mostly sit and stare at the screen doing nothing. It's like my brain thrives on the pressure.

So if you ever see a review I wrote and think, "Damn, that looks like it was thrown together in five minutes," you're probably pretty close to right. - Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment