Wednesday, January 20, 2016

#IABBAddicts: The Reapers by Ali Winters

Picture
Check out more information on #IABBAddicts here
Join us every Thursday for IABB #Confessions

ABOUT THE BOOK
The Reapers (The Hunted Series: Book 1)Author: Ali Winters

Title: The Reapers
Series: The Hunted, #1

Pages: 348

Genre: Paranormal

Date published: May 31, 2015

Synopsis:
Having been a reaper as long as she can remember, Nivian knows that what she does is essential in maintaining balance. After being assigned to a rushed mark she finds that there is more to this human than any other she has encountered.

Kain had been living an ordinary life without a second thought until he meets Nivian who turns his world upside down. He is thrust into a world of hunters and reapers. The keepers of life and death have been feuding for centuries over a reason no one can even remember.

With Kain having been marked for reaping, and Nivian being hunted, they forge a friendship and together must find the truth in order to keep balance in check. Wrong choices could destroy everything. As they journey they discover hidden histories, powers, and lies and truths that have been spun since the beginning of time. The consequence of failure, unimaginable.


EXCERPT
Nivian leaped over the edge of the bridge and landed with a soft tap on the surface of the water. She reached down, pulled the soul of the driver up by the collar of his shirt, and stood him up next to her on top of the water. She took the driver’s hand, palm up, in hers and waved her other hand over his. Pinching the air, she pulled and lifted up to expose his life thread. His wide eyes stared unblinking, hypnotized by the glowing string of light. Nivian reached behind her and grabbed the scythe strapped to her back, and swung. With a slow, deliberate movement, Nivian sliced the human’s life thread. The light formed into a ball and hovered between them. She pulled out a small pocket watch and guided the life energy down to the watch. It sunk into it and disappeared.
She snapped the watch closed and returned it to her pocket. “You should know better than to drink and drive. You could’ve seriously hurt someone.”
He gaped at her, his mouth opened and closed like a fish. “Yes, you really are dead,” she confirmed and gave him an apathetic look as she turned away.
“Are you … the devil?” he managed to sputter.
“No, of course not. I am just the natural order of things,” she said, looking back over her shoulder. “Wait here. Your spirit counselor will be here soon to guide you to your afterlife. I have other jobs tonight.” She spun on her heel and walked away, as she pulled her hood back up over her head and vanished.

Interview

What inspired you to become an author?
A fellow fantasy author. I just had an idea for a scene so I wrote it down, and showed it to a friend. She encouraged me to continue the story and that is how The Reapers came into existence. 

I assume all authors also love to read, so what book inspired your love of reading?
The Black Unicorn, The Last Unicorn, and Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy way back when. 

How old were you when you wrote your first story? 
I want to say I was in 5th grade. I wrote it for some assignment and ended up being sent somewhere for a state wide contest. I have no idea what that story was about now or what happened to it.

Who are some of your favorite authors now? 
Peter S. Beagle, Piers Anthony, and Douglas Adams. They are the writers that have inspired my sense of humor and the type of stories I love to read and write.

Are you a plotter or a pantser?
Hard core plotter. It keeps the pacing consistent and it’s so much easier to keep organized. 

Are your characters based on people you know?
Kain is based a bit on my husband. Not the looks, but his personality and how he handles things, and manners. 

What are some of your writing rituals?
Drink coffee, sit down and try my hardest to not become distracted by facebook. Evil time suck that it is. 

How do other books influence your writing? 
I grew up reading fantasy, so after spending so much of my life reading that genre, it’s where my imagination lives. Being able to create new worlds that no one knows is so much fun. 

How do you get motivated to sit down and write with all the real world interruptions? 
I just do it every spare second I get. I recently discovered evernote, I have it on my phone, my kindle and obviously on my computer. It makes taking notes and writing when I’m not at my desk so much easier and no more hording millions of sticky notes anymore. ( I may have already saved a small forest. 

Which one of your books is your favorite? 
The Reapers is my only full length book out right now, but I also have two more I’m working on that I love just as much. I guess The Reapers, since it’s published. ;)

If you could have a writing retreat anywhere in the world, where would you want it to be and why? 
Oregon, in/near a forest – just surrounded by trees. 

If your main character were an alcoholic beverage, which beverage would they be and why? 
Oh uhh, appletini? Because they are delicious and I only drink wine so I don’t pay attention to any of those fancy drinks. Except appletinis. 

If you could live in a fictional world, which world would you choose and why?
This is such a hard question. As much as I love fantasy and Sci-fi, there is some serious messed up stuff in those worlds. One with magic. I know, there are so many of them, but it’s impossible to pick!

What’s the best way to hide a body? 
Make sure none of your DNA has gotten on the body and hide it in the trunk of your enemy’s car. Call the cops.


This or That

Coke or Pepsi? Pepsi
Paperback or e-reader? Paperback
Facebook or Twitter? Facebook
Peeta or Gale? Peeta, no question. 
Edward or Jacob? 
Money or love? Love
Tattoos or bare? Either
Hairy or smooth? Smooth, but only natural, none of that shaved crap. (I dated a really weird runner once. >_> feeling man leg stubble is off putting.)
Call or text? Text. I hate talking on the phone.
Hot or cold? Hot. 
Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings? Lord of the rings.
Coffee or Tea? Both.
Halloween or Christmas? Christmas
McDonald’s or Burger King? Neither.
Batman or Spiderman? Batman
Oatmeal raisin or chocolate chip? CHOCOLATE CHIP! 





…. JOOOD!!!! DID YOU READ THAT? I SAID CHOCOLATE CHIP! >:D

No comments:

Post a Comment