Tuesday, December 23, 2014

30 Days of Christmas - Day 21 - Eleven Winters in Purgatory by Shannon Celebi

I am still behind, working on getting caught up (possibly before I go to bed tonight depending on how late my husband gets home from work and if he wants to watch SOA when he does.) So today I chose a short story, like really short, but it definitely packed a big punch.


Genre: Holiday
Published: December 20, 2013
Pages: 13
Ages: 14+
(My estimate)

Synopsis

"There never was Christmas in our house. My daddy wouldn’t allow it. Still, the year I turned eleven, I made a little paper tree in school and hung it beside my bed, way down low where no soul could see it, and fell asleep each night praying for Santa Claus to come..."

Review

This story was heart wrenching, pretty much the whole way through. Celebi's words were so evocative, I felt like I was a poor eleven year old girl who never got Christmas, and I've thankfully never been in that position before. I spent most of the story praying that someone would call CPS to come take this poor girl away from her emotionally abusive father, so she could have a family that loves her. The only bright point in her life seems to be her old neighbor, Mrs. Pitwick who does what little she can to give the little girl at least a decent Christmas. 

For me this story was kind of reminiscent of "The Little Match Girl." The situations in the two stories are not really the same, but the feelings they evoked in me were. If you're looking for a short story that will really tug on your heartstrings, this is the story for you. It may be short, but it's complete. Overall I give it 5 out of 5 stars. - Katie 

Buy the Book


2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Katie. I am moved by your words and so happy that you enjoyed the story! All my best, Shannon Celebi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Katie. I am moved by your words and so happy that you enjoyed the story! All my best, Shannon Celebi

    ReplyDelete