Wednesday, December 17, 2014

30 Days of Christmas - Day 15 - The Wish: A North American Pack and Half-Blood Princess Christmas by Magen McMinimy

I know, I know, I'm late again. Yesterday I had a horrible headache that really interfered with my reading plans for the day. I don't get headaches often, but when I do, I'm a giant baby about them. The book selection for day 15 comes from Winter Kiss: A Holiday Romance Anthology produced by the ladies of Rising Indies United. Sure, that makes this technically only part of a book, but it still counts because this is my challenge and I do what I want. Also, I'm realizing just how challenging it is to try and read a book every single day.


Genre: Romance/Holiday
Pages: 169 (whole book)
Published: December 15, 2014
Ages: 18+

Synopsis

In a forgotten mining town, deep in the Bitterroot Valley, the Montana faction of the North American Pack of werewolves prepares for the holidays. When an innocent wish and a powerful spell is cast, vampires, witches, and weres are forced together for one unforgettable night, causing everyone involved to reevaluate what is truly important and what is needed to make them whole.

Review

This story is a companion story to McMinimy's Half-Blood Princess series and North American Pack series. I would recommend reading at least some from both series before reading this story to fully enjoy it. I have only read the first two books in the Half-Blood Princess series to date (I enjoyed both of them, just have not found the time to read any more), and still felt completely at a loss reading this story. There is a large cast of characters in a pretty short story, and you don't really get to know any of them during the course of this story. I felt like I should start a list just to keep track of how each person is related to everyone else.

Aside from the lack of personal connection issues, this was an entertaining story, full of shifters, vampires, witches, and various hybrids of these. Savannah, the pack's alpha, and her mate Andre, a 3/4 vampire 1/4 witch hybrid, have invited Andre's family to the pack lands for Christmas. Like any normal person, Savannah is worried about impressing the in-laws, and that is pretty much where I started to flounder in this story, because there are a lot of in-laws. Then there is Kishi's, one of Savannah's pack, side story adding even more characters to the mix. I ended up spending more time trying to remember who was who than I got to spend just enjoying the story. There is not a doubt in my mind that this wouldn't have been a problem if I'd read all of the Half-Blood Princess novels and the North American Pack novels though, which is why I would suggest you read those first. 

Overall I give this story 3.5 out of 5 stars because although it was mildly entertaining, it does not stand well on it's own two feet and the ending felt rushed and overly simplistic. I would still honestly recommend this to others, but like I have said twice already, read the rest of the series first. - Katie 

Buy the Book

No comments:

Post a Comment