Saturday, December 13, 2014

30 Days of Christmas - Day 12 - Kink the Halls by Dawn Robertson

My book choice for this evening is a companion novella to Dawn Robertson's Hers Series, written just for the holidays. I have previously read Finding Willow, so I already have a slight connection with these characters, and I would definitely recommend reading that prior to Kink the Halls.


Genre: Erotica/Holiday
Published: December 2, 2013
Pages: 87
Ages: 18+

Synopsis

'Tis the Season for an dysfunctional Christmas tale! 

Seven and Levi are celebrating their first holiday together. 
Star is pretending to be domesticated. 
And new love is blooming. 

Seriously, what more do you expect from the Seven James-Parker/Star Bloom crew? 

One thing is for sure, this is a Christmas no one will be forgetting anytime soon!

Review

This book is hot! Smoking, sizzling, fresh fajitas at Chili's hot (we had Chili's for dinner this evening and my husband ordered fajitas, so they're on my mind). Kink the Halls felt like it was one sex scene after another, which I guess shouldn't be too surprising considering the title of the book. I was personally hoping for a little more story, but the sex scenes had me wishing I wasn't reading the book in the car with my children present, if you get what I'm saying. 

This story is told in multiple POV, so we get in all six of the major characters heads at least for a while. This is great for perspective, but horrible for developing any sort of connection with these characters because you're not with any one of them long enough to get a very good sense of who they are. However, this book is not designed to be a standalone, so you should already feel a connection with most of the characters going in. Like I recommended before, read at least Finding Willow first (and you should really probably start with Hers just to have a full handle on things). 

This story seriously lacked drama, which I actually found quite surprising considering all the allusions to how dysfunctional James/Bloom family get togethers have been in the past. The lack of drama was probably a welcome reprieve for the characters though, as they were all hoping to have a very merry Christmas together. 

My biggest issue with the book though was that there were several grammatical and spelling errors in the edition that I read. I read Kink the Halls in the Hers series box set which is currently available. Some of the language also felt a bit repetitive. These issues did not completely interfere with the story, but they were noticeable and a little jarring for me.

Overall I give this story 3.5 out of 5 stars. It was mildly entertaining, and suitably arousing, and the story flowed fairly well, but with the lack of character connection and drama, and the spelling/grammar issues, I just can't rate it any higher. - Katie 

Buy the Book

No comments:

Post a Comment