Monday, May 28, 2018

*Top Ten Tuesday* Bookish Worlds I'd Want to Live In (May 29)


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. Joood - Hooligan of Platypire reviews bossed me into doing this, so I guess this is a thing I do now. 

This weeks theme is bookish worlds I'd want to live in. These kinds of questions always kind of get me, because things aren't always so great in the types of books I like to read. I'm a big fan of horror and dystopian, and you know, unless I could guarantee that I'd be one of the privileged, those are just not the types of worlds I really want to be a part of. The same really goes for my love of fantasy as well. Unless I'm part of the nobility, there just isn't a whole lot I'd have going for me in one of those worlds. So this list may be a little short, but I'll see what I can do.

1: The magical world of Harry Potter. Sure, all that crap that went down with Lord V sucks, but Great Britain is not the only place with magic, and I'm American, so I wouldn't have been at Hogwarts anyway...and I just don't see Lord V's nonsense crossing the pond when he couldn't even beat a little boy, so the magical world we discover in Harry Potter seems like a relatively safe, and fun place to live.

2: Pearlestria from The Spark of Life series by Ginna Moran. I would LOVE to be a mermaid, and being not the King's daughter, I'd be allowed to essentially live on land if I wanted to. But I'm not sure I'd even feel the need for that. I personally love sushi, and if I were born in the water, I might not even care that I didn't know what life on land was like. There are basically no downfalls to living in Pearlestria for me.

3: Planet Draga Terra from The Draga Court series by Emma Dean. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure life as a peasant in this future human society is not nearly as cushy as life as a royal would be, but it doesn't seem to be as bad as in most dystopian novels. And living in a society where my behavior would be dictated by my level of dominance (which is clearly signified by the scent I secrete) has a certain appeal. There is the added benefit that the society is about as far from puritan prudishness as you can get where attitudes towards sexuality are concerned.

4: Halo City from the Crossroads Saga by Mary Ting. I could do without the whole having to fight demons things, but I think being a Nephilim and living in Halo City would be pretty cool, and with the skills and weapons I'd have as a permanent resident of Halo City, the demon fighting probably wouldn't be so bad.

5: Le Cirque des Rêves from The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. I understand that there is a lot of shady business surrounding the circus itself, but getting to be a part of it sounds like a fun and magical experience. 

Honorable Mentions
The following are worlds I'd want to live in as long as I was a member of the privileged class.

The Capitol from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - All of the crap that the citizens of the districts of Panem have to deal with is so not my game, but it would be so much fun to be a member of the privileged elite living in the Capitol (as long as I could ignore the fact that life essentially sucks for everyone else). 

Etyom from It Takes Death to Reach a Star by Stu Jones and Gareth Worthington - As long as I get to be a Gracile, living in the sky above the poor masses on the ground in Siberia, I'd be cool living in this future world. 

Atlas from The Outlier Series by Daryl Banner - I'm only living in this dystopian world if I can be born in the Lifted City above the slums. I'd get to be born with a special ability and not have to sleep. Yes please...but again, only if I get a position in the privileged lifted city. 

So counting honorable mentions I came up with eight worlds that I wouldn't mind living in, so I guess this week eight is the new ten (dang common core math!). 

What are some bookish worlds you'd want to live in? Any places I should try to visit soon? - Katie 

*If you're stopping by from the linkup, please be sure to drop a link to your post below so I can stop by and see your list.*

14 comments:

  1. Thanks for mentioning Pearlestria! I assure you that you’ll be hand-fed said sushi by your hot merman mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, it's one of very few "other" worlds that I'd actually like to live in. Can't wait for my merman mate to hand-feed me. - Katie

      Delete
  2. I wouldn't want to go to the Wizarding World when all the Voldemort stuff was happening either, but it dies sound incredible otherwise. I definetely wouldn't want to live in Panem no matter who I was though 😂
    Amy x
    My TTT: https://wp.me/p8Niyg-I9

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'm weird, but I really think living in the Capitol in Panem would be interesting at least. I mean, until Katniss they don't seem to realize just how bad things are in the rest of the nation after all.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  3. The Harry Potter world would be certainly interesting to explore! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! Harry Potter world is popular this week but for good reason. I don't think that I would like to live inPanem even if I was a priviled one becasue it didn't look good for them either in the books, but it sure was colorful.

    My List: https://fantasyraiders.wordpress.com/2018/05/29/top-ten-tuesday-my-favorite-world-builders/#more-8428

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree it wasn't necessarily good for the citizens of the Capitol, but they weren't forced to take part in the games themselves, and with that danger eliminated, a lot of the horror from the books isn't so bad. Maybe.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  5. The Night Circus sounds pretty awesome...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously. And if I can't be a performer, I'd at least like to be able to visit it. I kind of hate Ms. Morgenstern for creating such a magical place that doesn't exist in real life.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  6. I would love to live in Harry Potter's world! That would be amazing.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And as long as you're a pure-blood without kids at Hogwarts, you'd probably be alright. :)

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  7. I would love to live in Harry Potter's world and would definitely like a trip to Le Cirque De Reves.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2018/05/29/top-ten-tuesday-161/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My extreme love of magic clearly indicates that I was born in the wrong reality...I wanna live in one of my alternate timelines with magic dang it!

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete