Thursday, May 24, 2018

*Book Blogger Hop* 25 May 2018



We are on to a new week for the Book Blogger Hop hosted by the lovely folks over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. This weeks questions is:
Do you remember the first book you read by yourself? (submitted by La La @ La La in the Library)
Not really no. At least, not for sure. For one thing, I'm not sure if this question is asking about books that I read simply to myself and not to a parent or teacher. Even if it is, I'd have to think all the way back to second grade for sure (I know I was reading on my own in second grade because I got in trouble for taking books outside to read during recess, it's one of my mom's favorite stories to tell about me). That was a long time ago and I've been a reader my whole life so I've read a LOT of books. Trying to narrow it down to just one would be impossible. I do remember really enjoying the Babysitter Little Sister series when I was that age, so it might have been one of them. But I also super loved Matilda and literally read my copy to pieces, so it could have been that. I was really big into Goosebumps in elementary school too though, so there's another entire series of books that could have provided my first, honest to goodness read to myself book. I wish I had a more definitive answer here, but I just don't.

What about you? Can you remember the first book you read by yourself? - Katie

*If you're stopping by from the linkup, please be sure to drop a link to your post below so I can stop by and see your answer too.* 

5 comments:

  1. I don’t know if it was the first book I read on my own, but I remember reading Chicka Chicka Boom Boom all the time. There was another one about dinosaur eggs, but I can’t remember the title.

    I can’t remember many other books from my childhood, only assigned reading like James and the Giant Peach and Charlotte’s Web. I also remember reading an adult sci-fi space adventure at eleven, because my teacher made a big deal about it. Then I read my sister’s VC Andrew’s books for outside reading, which got even a bigger deal. I loved all her books at 11-13. Sad that I can only think of the books no one wanted me to read. I think my teachers gave up after I did a book report on Interview With a Vampire and realized I wasn’t likely to pick things on the suggested list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is the devil! My sister loved that book when she was little, and I still have portions of it memorized because of that.

      I never really liked the books that we were made to read in school either, and I think being made to read them and at a certain pace was the reason for that. I'm lucky that outside of assigned reading, my parents encouraged me to read whatever struck my fancy. My mom got me reading Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern series when I was around 11, and while not quite on the same level as Andrews' Dollanganger series, there were definitely some adult themes in there (that maybe my mom didn't quite remember when she suggested the books to me, or maybe because she was a farm kid and animals mating was just a fact of life when she was growing up, the dragon mating and subsequent rider mating scenes just didn't seem like a big deal to her...and the rider parts were fade to black, so it wasn't graphic, but still, I was 11 and a city kid.)

      I'd think as long as the kids are reading and it's nothing super inappropriate (like 50 Shades of Gray), teachers should be happy with it. - Katie

      Delete
  2. Good answer! I can definitely relate. I was always the kid with my head in a book, but they didn't seem to mind. I was also a huge fan of Roald Dahl, so I think one of my first books would've had to be from him. Probably 'James And The Giant Peach' or something though, as I never particularly took to Matilda despite being an avid reader too. Too many books to pinpoint my first ever one!

    Feel free to check out my own answer if you wish (with some puppy pictures!)

    - Charlotte (InkBlottings)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matilda is the ONLY Roald Dahl book I read as a child, which seems kind of weird to me now since I loved it and loved the movie Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, but it is what it is. I own most of his books for my kids now though and may or may not have read some of them.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  3. I feel like with me being a reader, I should remember the first book I've ever read by myself. However, I don't remember specifically the first book I've ever read on my own, without my parents reading to me. I do remember reading many book series like Baby-Sitters Club, Boxcar Children, Nancy Drew, Animorphs, and the first Harry Potter book, as a child, and those books fueled me to read more on my own. My BBH - http://poemsbyayoungartist.blogspot.com/2018/05/bookbloggerhop-may-25-31-books-i-read.html

    ReplyDelete