Sunday, April 9, 2023

*Review* Holly and the Pittie Party by Julian Frischherz

 

Genre: Children's 4-8 years
Published: July 25, 2023
Pages: 32


After her family realizes the puppy they adopted is a pit bull, Holly finds herself abandoned in the city. To make matters worse, many people are unwilling to help her because of the misconceptions about her breed. Holly’s search for love (and food) takes her through the city to a dog park, an animal shelter, and, finally, a fabulous pittie party. Against the backdrop of a culture not yet ready to accept all kinds of dogs, Holly learns that love and belonging are still possible.


I received a copy of this book through Netgalley. This is my honest review. 

This book made me cry, and I'm not even a dog person. But I am a firm believer that you should not ever give a pet as a gift, and that's exactly how this book starts. Then the family realizes the cute puppy that they got for Christmas (I think) is a pitbull and they abandon it on the street where she is left to fend for herself until animal control catches her. She's one of the lucky ones though and ends up in a shelter that puts on an event specifically to get pits adopted and she does find a forever home. 

The illustrations were so colorful with solid lines. They were definitely eye-catching and engaging and absolutely showed the emotions of the story for Holly. I wouldn't want to read this book too many times because I'm pretty sure it would make me cry for several readings, and that is not what I want from a children's book, although I bet that would help the kids understand how wrong it is to give up a pet like that. Overall I give this book 4.86 out of 5 stars. - Katie 




Julian Frischherz is based in Baltimore, Maryland, where pit bulls find themselves abandoned in shelters daily. He worked in domestic animal care for four years and wrote little stories for his four-legged clients’ human counterparts. He believes a walk is never just a walk if you have the imagination. Holly and the Pittie Party imagines a world in which all dog breeds are loved equally.

No comments:

Post a Comment