Sunday, June 17, 2018

*Review* Devoted by Ginna Moran


Genre: YA/Paranormal
Published: March 13, 2018
Pages: 312



Even the most righteous angels fall. 

Born from magic and demon blood, seventeen-year-old Faith Blackwell’s purpose in life is to be the mortal vessel that links her demonic father to humanity. Her existence enables her father to work alongside the angelic army to protect the balance between Heaven and Hell on Earth. But Faith wants nothing to do with demonic affairs. She has her soul set on an eternity in good grace, despite her father’s disapproval. 

Afraid her father will sway her soul toward Hell, the angelic army assigns Faith a guardian angel. If only the handsome angel didn’t bring out her devilish side. She can’t stop what he does to her humanity, though she knows nothing can come from her attraction to her guardian. Because angels, especially Demon Watchers, are off limits. 

When people go missing, Faith’s father is accused of mortal misconduct by the angelic army. Faith refuses to accept her father’s fate and faces divine intervention at the hands of her angel. She finds herself in the middle of an eternal feud that jeopardizes her soul. If Faith can’t stop the angelic army from opening a portal to Hell to send her father back, power will shift away from Heaven, forcing Faith to descend as a full-blooded demon—a fate worse than losing her mortal life.


I was hired to proofread this book. The only aspects of the story that I influenced were the spelling and grammar. If you feel that my connection to the book makes my review untrustworthy, so be it, but this is my honest review. 

I was so excited when Ms. Moran finally sent me this book. I basically begged her to write Faith's story after reading the Demon Within series. It was definitely worth the wait, although I still wish that I'd had it like immediately. Mostly, though, I needed to know just why Faith would be so loyal to Raphael, her demon father.

When it comes to writing demons and their spawn, Ms. Moran excels at making them sympathetic characters. I constantly found myself questioning my morals because the actions of the "good guys" just didn't seem so good. I even started to wonder if I should really be rooting for the "bad guys" to come out on top here. In addition to that, I so wanted Faith to give in to her devilish instincts and corrupt her demon watcher.

Although this book doesn't give us Faith's whole backstory, it does make her actions in the Demon Within series a lot more understandable. But don't think that means you have to read that series first (I do recommend reading it, but I don't think it's required to feel caught up on events in this story). Ms. Moran does a pretty good job of including the major highlights from the previous series so that you understand where things stand in this book and why.

Overall I give Devoted 4.569 stars. - Katie 



Ginna Moran is the author of an array of both paranormal and contemporary young adult novels including the Demon Within, Falling into Fame, and Spark of Life series. 

She started writing poetry as a teenager in a spiral notebook that she still has tucked away on her desk today. Her love of writing grew after she graduated high school and she completed her first unpublished manuscript at age eighteen.

When she realized her love of writing was her life’s passion, she studied literature at Mira Costa College in Northern San Diego. Besides writing young adult novels, she was senior editor, content manager, and image coordinator for Crescent House Publishing Inc. for four years.

Aside from Ginna’s professional life, she enjoys binge watching television shows, playing pretend with her daughter, and cuddling with her dogs. Some of her favorite things include chocolate, anything that glitters, cheesy jokes, and organizing her bookshelf.

Ginna is currently hard at work on her next novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment