Tuesday, June 26, 2018

*Review* Beneath the Lighthouse by Julieanne Lynch


Genre: YA/Paranormal
Published: June 26, 2018
Pages: 288



SOME SECRETS ARE MADE TO BE UNCOVERED.

Sixteen-year-old Jamie McGuiness’s sister is dead. Sinking into a deep depression, he frequents the lighthouse where her body was discovered, unaware of the sinister forces surrounding him.

When an angry spirit latches onto Jamie, he’s led down a dark and twisted path, one that uncovers old family secrets, destroying everything Jamie ever believed in.

Caught between the world of the living and the vengeful dead, Jamie fights the pull of the other side. It’s up to Jamie to settle old scores or no one will rest in peace—but, first, he has to survive.


I was hired to proofread this book. The only aspects of the story that I influenced were the spelling and grammar. If you feel that my connection to the story makes my review untrustworthy, so be it, but this is my honest review. 

So the first thing you need to know is that this book is set in Ireland. And there is quite a bit of Irish slang incorporated into the characters dialogue. This was a bit jarring for me at first, and there were a few words and phrases that I had to look up when I first encountered them. But once I got used to the dialect, the story started to flow really smoothly for me. This book also felt like a fairly quick read because it seemed rather dialogue heavy. Because of that, I think this would be an amazing book to listen to in audio.

As far as the story goes, it was a painful read at times. There are just some things that play a big role in the story that I just don't enjoy reading about because they are not pleasant things. This was definitely not a light-hearted read.

The story is told from a few different perspectives, and I found the spirit's perspective particularly interesting. It actually made me frustrated at times because I'd only get bits and pieces from her and then move on to Jamie's perspective again, and I really just wanted to know more (because I'm impatient). It really kept me turning pages to get back to her perspective again though.

Overall I give Beneath the Lighthouse 4.285 stars. - Katie 



Julieanne Lynch is an author of urban fantasy and contemporary fiction for both adults and teens. Julieanne lives in Northern Ireland with her family, where she writes full-time. Before becoming a writer, she considered a few different career paths, a rock star being one of them. She studied English Literature and Creative Writing at The Open University and considered journalism as a career path. However, she decided writing was the way for her and is thankful for each day she lives her dream.

Julieanne is represented by Italia Gandolfo of Gandolfo Helin & Fountain Literary Management, and is both traditionally and independently published.

No comments:

Post a Comment