Thursday, June 29, 2023

*Review* Cats Cradle: The Mole King's Lair by Jo Rioux

 

Genre: Graphic Novel
Published: June 20, 2023
Pages: 256


Suri the monster tamer is back for the second volume of this thrilling graphic novel trilogy!

Suri has what it takes to be a monster tamer―she just knows it! She’s even tamed her first monster…if you count Byron. He’s less like a monster, more like a giant dog. He needs a master that’s just his size, so Suri, Caglio, and Byron set off for the land of the giants: the Monster’s Cradle.

An epic journey like this requires money and provisions, which they don’t have. But the treasure at the heart of the mole king’s lair might be the solution to their problem!


I received a copy of this book through Netgalley. This is my honest review. 

This is the second book in a series, which means I went into it missing information. There are things I don't understand about how Suri got started taming monsters, and I'm not exactly clear on how she got ahold of the golden twine that seems to be rather valuable. There are some details in this book that give hints to what happened in the past, but I'm in the dark on the exact details. That didn't really affect my ability to understand this story though, especially once I started putting some of the puzzle pieces together. 

Being a graphic novel, this was a fairly quick read, although I feel like there was a fair bit of exposition and explanation going on, where I didn't have to just pick everything up from the illustrations. As a person who doesn't really enjoy graphic novels, I appreciated that tremendously. Most of the time if I'm reading a graphic novel, I feel almost lost due to the dearth of words, but that wasn't the case here. 

Overall I give The Mole King's Lair 3.85 out of 5 stars. - Katie 




Jo Rioux is an author and illustrator of children’s books. Since graduating from Sheridan College with a degree in illustration, she has created artwork for young adult books, chapter books, and picture books, but her biggest passion is comic books. She is the illustrator of M. T. Anderson’s graphic novel The Daughters of Ys. Her fantasy trilogy, Cat’s Cradle, debuted in 2022.

Jo lives in the lush suburbs of Ottawa, where she spends her time drawing, reading, teasing her dog, and spinning tales of magic and monsters.

No comments:

Post a Comment