Thursday, February 29, 2024

*Monthly Update* February 2024

 Heyo! Look at me sitting here pretending like I'm doing a good job writing posts regularly enough to justify a monthly update post (and that I'll keep up with that too!) But for some reason I'm feeling optimistic and motivated right now, so here we are. Anyway. 

In February, I made it a point to read books almost exclusively by Black authors for Black History Month. I did have a couple books I was finishing up at the beginning of the month and I think two audiobooks from Netgalley that I had to listen to as their archive dates were fast approaching, but otherwise, the only books I read in February were by Black authors. I even managed to read 22 books in February, because I certainly wasn't spending that time writing reviews for those books (but we're not going to talk about that, okay?) Sixteen if those 22 books were by Black authors, and I have three books currently started also by Black authors, two of which I intend to finish sooner rather than later. The third is a big ass book about the history of racism in America, and while I'm absolutely going to finish it, I do intend to put it on the back burner for now because...

March is Women's History Month and I want to spend the entire month reading books by women (and none of those three Black authors I'm currently reading are women). The caveat to my month of reading books only by women is that I want them to be mostly non-romance. Not that I have anything against romance, but I want to focus on genres that aren't dominated by women writers. Additionally, I intend to read at least 5 non-fiction books about notable women (ideally written by women, but I may make an exception on that. I will acknowledge that it's quite possible those books will all end up being memoirs). So hit me with your recommendations of non-romance books by women, especially if you have some recommendations of non-fiction about notable women. 

Books read in February

The Midnight Library by Matt Haig
The Dollmaker by Morgan Shamy
The Black Queen by Jumata Emill
The Iron Daughter by Julie Kagawa
The Gilded Ones by Namina Forna
The Art of Extreme Self-Care by Cheryl Richardson
Queen's Catacombs by Jordan H. Bartlett
Poemhood: Our Black Revival edited by Amber McBride, Erica Martin, and Taylor Byas
Stronger Together by Terry Crews and Rebecca King Crews
Riot Baby by Tochi Onyebuchi
A Girl is a Body of Water by Jennifer Nansubuga Makumbi
We're Going to Need More Wine by Gabrielle Union
The Last Black Unicorn by Tiffany Haddish
The Poisons We Drink by Bethany Baptiste
White Smoke by Tiffany D. Jackson
The Shadow Sister by Lily Meade
Dread Nation by Justina Ireland
For Black Girls Like Me by Mariama J. Lockington
Pride by Ibi Zoboi

My blogging goal for March is to do some serious work on getting caught up on my backlogged reviews (I have over 80 non-children's books to write reviews for and more children's book reviews than that to write). I'd really like to see exactly what kind of hole I'm in on Netgalley, but to do that, I gotta' get my feedback written and submitted. Only 5 of the 22 books I finished in February were Netgalley books, but at least 5 of the books I read were Netgalley books (it could have been worse!) Anyway, I've got some reading to do to hit my amended page goal for the month, and only a few hours left to do it, so tata for now. - Katie 




No comments:

Post a Comment