Thursday, July 16, 2015

*Review* Nightlight: A Parody by The Harvard Lampoon


Genre: Humor/Parody
Published: January 1, 2009
Pages: 154
Ages: 14+

Synopsis

About three things I was absolutely certain.
First, Edwart was most likely my soul mate, maybe.
Second, there was a vampire part of him--which I assumed was wildly out of his control--that wanted me dead.
And third, I unconditionally, irrevocably, impenetrably, heterogeneously, gynecologically, and disreputably wished he had kissed me.


And thus Belle Goose falls in love with the mysterious and sparkly Edwart Mullen in the Harvard Lampoon’s hilarious send-up of Twilight. 

Pale and klutzy, Belle arrives in Switchblade, Oregon looking for adventure, or at least an undead classmate. She soon discovers Edwart, a super-hot computer nerd with zero interest in girls. After witnessing a number of strange events–Edwart leaves his tater tots untouched at lunch! Edwart saves her from a flying snowball!–Belle has a dramatic revelation: Edwart is a vampire. But how can she convince Edwart to bite her and transform her into his eternal bride, especially when he seems to find girls so repulsive?

Complete with romance, danger, insufficient parental guardianship, creepy stalker-like behavior, and a vampire prom, Nightlight is the uproarious tale of a vampire-obsessed girl, looking for love in all the wrong places.


Review

In case you couldn't tell, this is a parody of the Twilight saga. Like most parodies, it is incredibly absurd, but hilarious. 

The entire time I was reading this book, I had Anna Kendrick's voice in my head narrating and it was basically perfection. Her brand of snark just felt perfect for this parody (her role in the movies may have had something to do with that.) There isn't much else I feel like I can say that doesn't feel spoilery so I'm just going to say that if you like parodies like Scary Movie, you will probably love this. 5 out of 5 stars. - Katie 

Buy the Book


2 comments:

  1. I tried reading this book. I really tried. My brother bought it for me for Christmas a few years ago, but for me, it just felt like it was trying too hard. It made it to my DFN pile. :(

    Of course, I also hated Scary Movie, so..... haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I read it in like 2.5 hours, but I love movie parodies and the like so it was right up my alley. - Katie

      Delete