Saturday, March 22, 2014

Review of "Captive" by Brenda Rothert

After being devastated by the loss of her pregnancy, Kate eventually joined a grief support group where she met Jason Ryker, star hockey player. On thing led to another and eventually they got married. That's the watered down version, if you want to know how they got here (and I'm sure you do) go purchase "Bound" at Amazon Barnes & Noble Smashwords (It's only $.99). The wedding wasn't the end of their story though. That's where "Captive" comes in.

Desperate to be a mother and give Ryke children, Kate becomes pregnant, sure that this time will be different. When tragedy strikes, it puts their marriage through the ringer. Will this be the end for Kate and Ryke, or will they fight through the pain to achieve their very own happily ever after?

This book was truly captivating (see what I did there?). I was really disappointed when my other half said he wanted to watch a movie together after I started reading because I wanted to continue my rendezvous with Kate and Ryke, but my hubby's fragile ego just couldn't withstand that kind of rejection so Kate, Ryke, and I rescheduled our date. Once we reconnected I barely put the book down. I even cooked with Kindle in hand.

Brenda Rothert pulled me right back into the story, sticking me solidly in Kate's shoes as if they were the ruby slippers from The Wizard of Oz. I wasn't getting out of them until I found my way back home and actually couldn't think of anything but the story during the times when I couldn't be reading. I traveled on the emotional roller coaster with Kate, going through all the ups and downs; the joy of pregnancy, the loneliness while Ryke was on the road, and the hurt of being left alone after a fight. I felt all the emotions deep in my soul, although I don't think I would have been as forgiving as Kate if not for the scenes from Ryke's POV. The ending certainly made the emotional roller coaster worthwhile, even if it did bring more tears to my eyes.

My only complaint about the book is that there are several instances where the timing of the story is either unclear or possibly inconsistent. For me it was disturbing while reading, but it doesn't really affect the overall feeling of the story in the end.

Overall I give "Captive" 4 out of 5 stars, for being well-written and captivating. I can't wait to get my hands on the next book in the series. - Katie

Buy Links:
Amazon
Barnes and Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment