Friday, March 9, 2018

*Book Blogger Hop* 9 March 2018



We are on to a new week for the Book Blogger Hop hosted by the lovely folks over at Ramblings of a Coffee Addicted Writer. This weeks questions is:
Do you enjoy reading retellings of, or 'sequels' to, classic novels? Why or why not? (submitted by Maria @ A Night's Dream of Books)
So much yes. It's like getting to dive back into a familiar story without reading the exact same thing, and I'm not big on rereading. Also, when I really love a story, I always want more even if the author didn't really want to give us more (or wasn't able because they died and haven't figured out how to write for us in the afterlife). Retellings of fairy tales and other stories from my childhood (like Alice in Wonderland) are my serious weak spot.

Do you like reading retellings of classic stories? - Katie

*If you're stopping by from the linkup, please be sure to include a link to your post below so I can stop by and see your answer.* 

7 comments:

  1. Hmm, yes. I didn't really consider fairytales in my answer, only 18-20th century novels, but it's true, there are some excellent fairytale retellings too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider fairy tales as much a part of classic literature as, say Pride and Prejudice, they're just targeted towards a different demographic.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  2. Do you prefer retellings in a different setting/era with the same core characters or the same setting/era/theme from different characters POV? I enjoyed reading your answer!

    I'm a new follower!
    Alli Cat's Meow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I enjoy both when they're done well at least. I'm a big fan of Gregory Maguire's work, and I thoroughly enjoyed Christina Henry's Alice and Lost Boy (Red Queen wasn't quite as good in my opinion, but I'm still glad I read it). But I also really enjoy it when authors take the classic tales a put a new spin on them. For example, I really enjoy L.B. Dunbar's Legendary Rockstar Series, which is a modern rock star spin on the tale of King Arthur and his knights of the round table.

      I know there are people out there that just want stuff to be new, but I get very excited when a book I'm reading leads me back to favorite stories too.

      Thanks for stopping by and following! - Katie

      Delete
  3. Yes, I enjoy retellings too, it gives us a chance to explore the world of a book in more detail or to look at things from a different angle.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never read a re-telling, but I have read sequels.

    ReplyDelete