Monday, December 4, 2017

*Top Ten Tuesday* Bookish Settings I'd Love to Visit


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Joood - Hooligan of Platypire reviews bossed me into doing this, so I guess this is a thing I do now. 

This weeks theme is bookish settings I'd love to visit.

1: Hogwarts. Top of the list; first place I always think of when asked what fictional place I'd like to go to. I need to go to Hogwarts to eat the feasts and learn how to turn my enemies into ferrets. I'm actually slightly disappointed with myself for not making it to England for the Hogwarts experience thing while living in Germany (way cheaper to get to England from Germany than the US), but I found out early on that I hate traveling and sight-seeing with my children, and I hate that more than I wanted to go to fake Hogwarts.

2: Planet Draga. This is where Adelina from Emma Dean's Draga Court series lives, and the world just sounds so intriguing. Also, I need to go there so I can understand exactly how the city is set up, like I have a definite image in my head, but to be sure that it matches the actual description, I'd have to see it. Also, I really want to try the alien to me foods.

3: The Shire. I've never read The Hobbit or any of the Lord of the Rings books, and I haven't watched the movies either, but I know that hobbits are all about things like 2nd breakfast and Elevensies, and I like food, so that is something I would like to take part in. I feel a deep connection with hobbits in general, even though I've failed to make a connection with the books.

4: Julia Child's Kitchen. I'm going to have to go back in time for this one, because it's very important to me that she be in it cooking, testing recipes for her cookbook. I'd love to volunteer as a taste tester for her.

5: Pearlestria. This is the most prominent mermaid "village" in Ginna Moran's Diving Under series. Sure, I'd need to become a mermaid for the true experience, but I'd be willing to make that sacrifice. And I think I'd handle it better than Ava does because I already like raw fish.

And that's the extent of my itemized list, because in most cases I'd love to visit the settings of the books I read. A few notable exceptions would be concentration camps during WWII (they are depressing enough to visit now, over 70 years later), Westeros from George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire series, Panem from The Hunger Games (with the exception of The Capital), honestly, just about any low-class dystopian settlement because they always get the raw end of the deal but tend to be the focus of the stories (for good reason). It's really easier to list bookish settings I'd rather avoid than the ones I want to visit, because the list is much smaller.

So what about you? What are some bookish settings you'd love to visit? - Katie

Have you joined the 12 Books of Christmas Challenge yet? Find out more details and sign up here!

19 comments:

  1. Hogwarts and The Shire made my list as well! Here is my Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are very iconic settings.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  2. I've not read the Diving Under series, but I'd love to visit a mermaid village!
    My TTT this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you enjoy YA, I highly recommend it. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  3. Hogwarts...I have a feeling this will be on pretty much every list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's almost like people who love to read also tend to love Harry Potter or something. LOL. I definitely agree that it will likely be on most lists. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  4. Hogwarts and The Shire sound great. Hogwarts is a popular choice this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of the easy go to for readers I think, and when we're asked to pick things off the top of our heads, sometimes it can be hard to think of things (at least that's my experience.) Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  5. Oooh the Shire! I didn't think of that one because I haven't read the books, but that is a good one! Hogwarts made my list also, I feel like everyone who loves Harry Potter has to add some Harry Potter setting on their list! :D <3

    My Top Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see enough LotR memes on Facebook that I think about the Shire on a regular basis. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  6. It would be so amazing to visit The Shire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, if only for the food. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  7. Great list. I’m still waiting for my Hogwarts letter . . .

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got one last year for Christmas...or maybe my birthday, they're both in December so the presents kind of blend together. It was a very Harry holiday season for me.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  8. I'm not a big Harry Potter fan, but, if I'm being honest, it would be nice to visit Hogwarts :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha, I'd totally fit right in with the hobbits when it comes to love of food too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm the weird one who doesn't really love Harry Potter. I recently read the first book and wasn't super impressed :( I'm told it gets better though. Lovely list!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hogwarts seems to be a popular location for this week's top 10. I really need to get around to reading Harry Potter. I could spend some time in Julia Child's kitchen as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Julia Child's kitchen?! Now THAT WOULD indeed be a fabulous place to visit. Imagine the tips we could gather! Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland, Katie. :)

    ReplyDelete