Tuesday, August 15, 2017

*Top Ten Tuesday* Book Recommendations for WWII Fiction Fans


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Joood - Hooligan of Platypire reviews bossed me into doing this, so I guess this is a thing I do now. 

This weeks theme is book recommendations for WWII era fiction fans. I have always had a morbid fascination with the Holocaust so I have read loads of books about the Jewish ghettos and the concentration camps. But I have somewhat recently branched out to start reading just about any book set in Europe during WWII that I can get my hands on. If you are a fan of WWII era historical fiction, you have likely already read a few of these yourself. These books are in no particular order.

All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. My book club read this and it's one of the few books I actually almost finished before our meeting. This tale is set in Saint-Malo, a walled citadel in France, and also in Germany. We get to hear the story from a few different points of view, and I believe this is the first book I read where I actually sympathized with a Nazi soldier to some degree (and he kind of earned the sympathy with his actions).

The Lost Letter by Jillian Cantor. I only just recently finished reading this book. It's told from two points of view in two different time periods, the 1930s and early 40s and then in 1989-90, right around the time the Berlin Wall came down. It focuses on members of the resistance in Austria in the build up to WWII, when Hitler was just starting to round up Europe's Jewish citizens, and then a woman with a strange stamp/letter that was never in circulation, but it's darn close to one that was. The mystery of the story is just how did the stamp come about, and what happened to the engraver responsible for it, but there is also a bit of romance to the tale.

The Velvet Hours by Alyson Richman. This story is told from two different points of view in two different time periods. It follows a woman and her biological grandmother in the time leading up to WWI and the time leading up to WWII. I found the grandmother's story to be more entertaining on the surface, but the woman's life caused me more anxiety because she was half-Jewish, and even though she was raised Catholic (I think), we all know that wouldn't have mattered to the Nazis. I thought this was a unique perspective on the two great wars.

Radio Girls by Sarah-Jane Stratford. This book is set about fifteen years before the beginning of WWII, but there is a conspiracy involved in the story that relates directly to the rise of the Nazi party, so I really feel like it's connected. Set in England, Radio Girls chronicles the early days of the BBC and had a bit of an Agent Carter feeling to it to me. There were times where the story dragged on, but ultimately I found it fascinating.

The Girl From the Paradise Ballroom by Alison Love. This book doesn't discuss WWII much, but rather frames it. We see London in the time leading up to WWII, and then immediately afterwards, with just a brief mention of the war itself. What intrigued me most about this story is that it follows Italians in London, some of them fascists, and the way they were treated in the time leading up to the war. I saw a lot of parallels to the current treatment of Muslims and refugees in America, reminding me that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly. I think this is the only WWII era historical fiction that I've read recently with a concentration camp setting. The story rotates through three points of view and is told a bit like a soap opera, where once things start to get a little exciting for one of our characters, we switch to someone else's POV, which kept me glued to the book wanting to know what was going to happen. This book provided a diverse experience of WWII and camp life, even if I had difficult relating to one of the characters.

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. This was another book club pick that I had almost finished before our monthly meeting. This is another dual point of view tale, following two sisters in France during the war. The two sisters lead very different lives, each with their own priorities. This story made it a bit easier to understand why there was not as much resistance to occupation from every day citizens as I would have thought there'd be. If I had to recommend just one book from this list for everyone to read, it would probably be this one.

The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck. This book gets an honorable mention on this list because I haven't finished reading it yet, but what I have read, I've loved so far. (And to be quite honest, I needed another book for the aesthetics of this post.)

So my list only has eight books on it, not ten (for once I didn't go overboard!) but these are the books I've read recently enough that their plots are still stuck with me. And looking at my list, with the exception of The Girl from the Paradise Ballroom, all of these books feature strong or brave female characters as at least one of the main points of view for the story.

Do you have any books you would add to my list? I'm always looking for recommendations of good WWII era historical fiction books to read. - Katie 

28 comments:

  1. I've read 2 of those! I am so great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of any of these books but there are some gorgeous covers here 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! Half of these I would have picked up for the cover alone! - Katie

      Delete
  3. This time period fascinates me so I'm going to have to look into these books. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been interested in Lilac Girls but haven't picked it up yet. Nice choices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely worth reading. I really enjoyed it. - Katie

      Delete
  5. Lots of good books here--I've enjoyed several of these. More going on my to-read list now! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the Light We Cannot See <3 <3 <3 One of the best books ever. I love the line about being brave...I should read the rest of these...

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend at least The Nightingale. I felt like it was a lot like All the Light We Cannot See, and yet completely different at the same time. It's hard to explain. - Katie

      Delete
  7. Damn - I'm a fat zero on this list, but I don't often read historical fiction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I know you are partial to women's fiction, I would recommend The Nightingale or The Velvet Hours, if you really want to read one of these. They both have a strong women's fiction feeling to them I thought. - Katie

      Delete
  8. I can't believe I have yet to read any of the books on this list - I'm definitely going to have to go and check some of these out!
    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are relatively recent releases for the most part (I got half of them through Penguin's First to Read). - Katie

      Delete
  9. I have yet to read The Nightingale but everyone I've heard mention it has said good things.
    I'm visiting from the Top Ten Tuesday linkup and I think you have a great list here

    ReplyDelete
  10. I participated in this too!! Sadly, it was my first time so you have to use your imagination to see a list of 10. I love the books on your list...except All the Light We Cannot See...ew.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My lists almost never have exactly ten items because I apparently can't count. LOL. - Katie

      Delete
  11. I absolutely LOVED all the light we cannot see, and The Nightingale has been on my TBR list for the longest time. thanks for the other ww2 recs, they're much appreciated by a historical fiction junkie such as myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have been looking for more WWII era books, so I am adding these to my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look really great. I haven't actually read any WWII era books but I'm definitely going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite time periods to read about. - Katie

      Delete
  14. I haven't read any of these, but all the covers are too good :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stories behind the covers are all pretty fantastic too. - Katie

      Delete