Tuesday, April 25, 2017

*Top Ten Tuesday* Things that Make me NOT Want to Read a Book

Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Joood - Hooligan of Platypire reviews bossed me into doing this, so I guess this is a thing I do now. 

This weeks theme is things that will make me not want to read a book. This list will be shorter than last weeks.

1) Alpha males - I know that alpha males are the super hot thing in romance/erotica right now, but I've always preferred my men more beta. That overprotective, my woman can't do shit for herself attitude just isn't my cup of tea.
2) Motorcycle Clubs - So my husband and I watched Sons of Anarchy and it was okay, but MC books just do not do it for me. I think some of that may be because the men are pretty much always alpha.
3) Mafia/gangs - For me, these feel like they are exactly the same as MC books. Again the males tend to be alpha, and they have a lot of the same drama to deal with.
4) Military - My husband was active duty Army when we got married. He deployed almost exactly 6 months after we tied the knot. The last thing I needed while he was gone was anything reminding me of my loneliness and why I was lonely in the first place. I've never watched Army Wives either. He's been out of the military for over three years now, but I don't really feel any strong urge to read books that may remind me of that time of my life either.
5) Excessive spelling and grammar errors - If I happen to read reviews, and several of them mention issues with the spelling and grammar, I will avoid that book. Unfortunately, most reviewers don't mention those things, because there are many people that think pointing out those flaws, particularly in indie books, is petty, and some of THOSE people are absolutely not afraid to comment on your review about that. But spelling and grammar are important to me, so if they are an issue in a book that I've read, I will absolutely be commenting on it, naysayers be damned.

And that's pretty much all that will turn me off of a book. I really do have very eclectic taste, as I've mentioned in previous posts ad nauseam.

What are some things that will make you not want to read a book? - Katie 

4 comments:

  1. Completely agreed on the Mafia/gangs and motorcycle club stories. I just can't get into them at all. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I've never read MC/Mafia/Military, I agree with your list because I can't see myself enjoying them. Same goes for #5. I read the "look inside" feature because it is a deal breaker for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried and just haven't found any books in those sub-genres that I really enjoyed. I've read some that were technically well written, but the stories didn't suck me in. So now I just tend to avoid them. - Katie

      Delete