Monday, April 15, 2024

*Discussion Questions* The Tobacco Wives by Adele Myers *SPOILERS*

I have spent a few years in a couple of different book clubs now, and I've led my fair share of discussions (so every time it was my turn in the rotation to pick a book basically, although I've been slacking a little in my current book club). I can't tell you how many times I've finished a book that I'd chosen for our meeting, only to realize that I couldn't think of a single question to ask (and I'd forgotten to consider that while reading). In those instances I would run to the interwebs to search for discussion questions, just hoping that someone else had been kind enough to think of questions and share them with the world. I had about a 50% success rate with that. 


1) Do you think Maddie's mom told Aunt Etta why she was really dropping Maddie off?

2) Do you think Aunt Etta would have/should have turned Maddie away? Why or why not?

3) Why do you think Mitzy took Maddie in when Etta went to the hospital?

4) Do you think Maddie ever made the gloves for the factory workers?

5) Who was your favorite character? Why?

6) What do you think would have happened if Maddie told Cornelia why her son, the doctor, was yelling at her?

7) Do you think Richard agreed to Mitzy's demands before the gala, or were her proclamations a surprise to him that he had to go along with because of the evidence she had?

8) If Richard had publicly denied the changes for the women of Bright Leaf, do you think Mitzy would have come forward with the evidence against smoking?

9) Do you feel like Mitzy made the right choice at the time? Why or why not?

10) Do you see similarities between the marketing scheme for MOMints and prescription drug advertising today?

11) Do you think the wives would have abandoned Etta after she recovered if Maddie hadn't been there to fill her shoes for the gala dresses? 

And that is all the questions I came up with while reading this book. Is there anything else that you would ask at a meeting to get discussion going? Just comment below with your suggestions (and let me know if I may add them to the official post if you do please). - Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment