Monday, February 19, 2018

*Top Ten Tuesday* Books I'm No Longer Interested in Reading (Feb 20)


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. Joood - Hooligan of Platypire reviews bossed me into doing this, so I guess this is a thing I do now. 

This weeks theme is books I'm no longer interested in reading. I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to look at my TBR and reevaluate the books I've added there, removing books that I wanted to read when they released but now I'm just not really interested, but that's not going to work for me because my TBR shelf on Goodreads has over 100K books on it for one thing, and for another, I still want to read all those books (I won't be able to read all of them, but I want to). But beyond that, I don't like the idea of listing books that I don't want to read because that seems mean spirited to me. So instead, I'm going to talk about some types of books that I'm just so over.

Books that romanticize abuse. I have no problem with reading about "taboo" topics, and I often enjoy books that feature BDSM elements. I just don't have any interest in reading books that don't accurately portray the BDSM lifestyle and then pretend that that abuse is so romantic.

Books that are too formulaic. For example, Nicholas Sparks books come to mind. I understand some people absolutely love his books, and I've found some of them at least mildly entertaining myself, but they always seem to follow pretty much the exact same formula. And I understand that there are certain formulas that should be followed for all types of genre fiction, but you can still add originality into your story while following the genres formula, and that's what I want to see.

Books that portray women as unnecessarily helpless. I'm not saying that women can't need help sometimes, because that would be ridiculous. I'm just not interested in reading books about women who need someone else to do pretty much everything for them.

So my list is short and nowhere near ten, but honestly, there's not a whole lot of things I'm not interested in reading about.

Are there any types of books that you're just so over? - Katie

*If you're stopping by from the linkup, please be sure to drop a link to your post so I can return the love and see your list.*

8 comments:

  1. Your list might be short, but you've chosen some brilliant things to avoid. Formulaic books are the worst: I've only read one Nicholas Sparks novel, but I've never felt inclined to pick up another because they all sound exactly the same!

    You can find my Top Ten Tuesday here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with your reasons for not wanting to read a book. The formulaic books... I totally get that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too formulaic can definitely be a problem. And I'm not really interested in reading books with abuse either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't agree with you more on all of these points, but the one about romanticizing abuse is a huge pet peeve of mine. I refuse to read anything like that.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with you on so many of these, especially romanticizing abuse. I could go on for hours about why I hate Fifty Shades. I don`t have a problem with the kinky sex stuff, but I hate the idea of the pure virgin that has to save the troubled man. YUCK!


    Carmen`s Reading Corner

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great take on the topic. And a Goodreads soulmate - I have lots of books on my TBR there too. I'm bad about just adding ones that interest me so I know where to find them but apparently have forgotten that I can remove them too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you on on almost all of these. I too hate the books having same formula or plot. And romanticizing abuse? That's the worst!

    My TTT: http://flippingthruthepages.com/2018/02/ten-books-want-read-beautiful-covers-featuring-black-women/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I completely agree with your different types of books you want to avoid. Especially the first one, I am so sick of unhealthy relationships in romantic books. I enjoy romance books but I haven't found many where the relationship is healthy and something I could root for!

    My Top Ten Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete