Sunday, February 23, 2014

Review of "Until You" by Penelope Douglas

"Have you ever been so angry that hitting things felt good? Or so numb that you actually felt high? The past few years have been like that for me. Traveling between fury and indifference with no stops in between. 

Some people hate me for it, while others are scared of me. But none of them can hurt me, because I don't care about anything or anyone. 

Except Tatum. 

I love her so much that I hate her. I hate that I can't let her go. We used to be friends, but I found out that I couldn't trust her or anyone else. 

So I hurt her. I pushed her away. 

But I still need her. She centers me, and I can pool all of my anger into her. Engaging, challenging, bullying her--call it what you will--but it's my food, my air, and the last part of me that feels anything human. 

But then she went and screwed everything up. She left. She went to France for a year and came back a different girl. 

Now, when I push, she pushes back. 

*This is Jared's point of view and a companion novel to BULLY. It can be read as a stand alone, but reading BULLY first is strongly encouraged. Having Tate's point of view will help you appreciate Jared's side more. This is NOT Bully re-told." 


This book blew me away. I loved "Bully" when I read it, so I was excited for "Until You" to come out, and I'm so stoked that it was released ten days ahead of schedule, it's like an early birthday present for me. I also fully agree with the disclaimer at the end of the blurb about the book from Amazon. I could definitely read this book and feel content with the story (although I still want more now). I would strongly suggest reading "Bully" first because you will want to after reading this book, but I think it will be more boring after reading Jared's POV, and I've seriously been thinking about that for at least ten minutes, whether the order you read them in matters, and the conclusion that I've reached is that "Until You" is just more awesome for having read "Bully," but "Bully" would feel more like a re-telling if you read "Until You" first. So just do us all a favor and read "Bully" first. 

Tate never played games. There was never a flirty sparkle in her eye or a play of her lips to get me to notice her. She looked at me right now just like she used to. Like I was Christmas.

There were times throughout this book where I was like "Oh yeah, that did happen in the story" and then knew what the outcome would be, but for the most part, this really was a completely different story. Ms. Douglas did a great job getting inside the head of a teenage boy, at least I assume that's what the inside of a teenage boys head is like (I've obviously never been a teenage boy so I don't really know for sure). It at least felt authentic, and that's what really matters.

I was throbbing so hard. I needed to get inside of her, but I damn well gave a fuck about Tate, and I wasn't just going to take her. I wanted her coming back for seconds, thirds, and forever.

This book is definitely recommended for a more mature audience than "Bully." The intimate scenes are much more graphic, but oh so H O T T hot. Actually I felt a little bit pervy being privy to the lovemaking of barely legal adults and had to remind myself that they're fictional characters. There weren't many places in the book that made me outright laugh, but I definitely snickered quite a bit, and growled in frustration, and finished it all up with ugly crying at the end.

Overall this book gets five out of five stars, for being simply amazing and believable. I can't wait until we get Madoc's story. - Katie

Buy Links:
Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment