Tuesday, November 27, 2018

*31 Days of Christmas* The Holiday Calendar


Thanksgiving is over and the countdown to Christmas has officially begun (at least in my house). I don't limit myself to just reading cheesy Christmas romances during this time of year. Oh no. I also find myself binge watching Christmas movies on Netflix and the Hallmark Channel. And I thought, why not incorporate that into my blog as well. So I give you the 31 Days of Christmas (which will be much easier to accomplish with movies than books like I've tried to do in past years).

Next up is The Holiday Calendar




Watched on: Netflix
Duration: 1 hour 35 minutes
Originally aired: 2 November 2018
Directed by: Bradley Walsh
Starring: Kat Graham, Quincy Brown, and Ethan Peck
Please see IMDb for full cast and crew info.

Synopsis

A struggling but talented photographer inherits an antique holiday advent calendar, the contents of which seem to predict the future. Will this magical calendar lead her to love this holiday season?

Review

I'm just going to warn y'all now, that I'm going to get a bit nit-picky in this review. You see, at the beginning of this movie, Abby gets an "antique advent calendar like they USED to make in Europe" from her grandpa. I'm not going to argue about the calendar she gets being antique, I'm in no position to make a judgement call on that. However, I take great issue with the claim that they used to make them in Europe because I bought one that is similar just last year at the Kathe Wolfahrt store on base in Germany (and they sold them off base as well). I bought a second one that is remarkably different, but still made of wood and designed to be used year after year at a Christmas market in Germany last year as well (because I have two kids. That's my story and I'm sticking to it). I get that this is a small thing, but the statement would've been 100% accurate without the words "used to" in it. And this concludes the nit-picky portion of this review. 

This movie seemed like a pretty obvious friends to lovers story in the beginning. I mean, Josh had decided to stop traveling to be home for good just in time for the holidays, the set-up was clear. But then the magic of the advent calendar started working and Josh got sidelined. I honestly felt bad for the guy because it was clear that he was into Abby, but more importantly, he didn't act like he felt entitled to more than friendship from her when she met a new man. He was still there for her as the friend he had always been. But their chemistry. Seriously, as charming as New Guy was, I still wanted Abby with Josh. 

Even though this movie got off to a bad start with me, and took a turn I wasn't expecting, I was ultimately satisfied with the ending and think most cheesy Christmas movie addicts would be as well. 

My Rating
Check Out My Other Christmas Movie Reviews

Review
Review

Cancel Christmas starring Judd Nelson, Justin Landry, & Natalie Brown
The Holiday Calendar starring Kat Graham, Quincy Brown, and Ethan Peck
The Christmas Switch starring Natasha Henstridge, Brian Kraus, and Cedric Smith
48 Christmas Wishes starring Khiyla Aynne, Elizabeth Ellsworth, and Maya Franzoi
The Spirit of Christmas starring Thomas Beaudoin, Kati Salowsky, and Steven A. Miller
A Shoe Addict's Christmas starring Candace Cameron Bure, Luke Macfarlane, and Jean Smart
Mingle All the Way starring Jen Lilley, Brant Daugherty, and Lindsay Wagner

A Majestic Christmas starring Jerrika Hinton, Christian Vincent, and Adaya Ariana
Finding Santa starring Eric Winter, Jodie Sweetin, and Jay Brazeau

It's Christmas, Eve starring LeAnn Rimes, Tyler Hynes, and Gwynyth Walsh

For more info or to sign up, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment