Monday, September 17, 2018

*Top Ten Tuesday* YA Request Roulette Round Two


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl. Joood - Hooligan of Platypire reviews bossed me into doing this, so I guess this is a thing I do now. 

This weeks theme is fall 2018 TBR, but aside from the books that I'm hired to proofread (most of which I don't even know the titles of yet), I don't really plan out my TBR's in advance. And while I've already got a list for my 12 Books of Christmas reading challenge for this year that I will hopefully be starting in the fall, it should be winter reading, and it's already got its own blog post. But I had so much fun last time I played YA Request Roulette on Netgalley, so I decided I'd like to do it again.

So with that in mind, here are ten books from Netgalley's Teens/YA section that I have requested, and I will try to update this post as I get approved or denied.

Title: Paper Girl
Author: Cindy R. Wilson
Publisher: Entangled Publishing, LLC
Release Date: December 4, 2018
Genre: Romance
Goodreads
Request: Approved

Blurb

I haven’t left my house in over a year. My doctor says it’s social anxiety, but I know the only things that are safe are made of paper. My room is paper. My world is paper. Everything outside is fire. All it would take is one spark for me to burst into flames. So I stay inside. Where nothing can touch me.

Then my mom hires a tutor. Jackson. This boy I had a crush on before the world became too terrifying to live in. Jackson’s life is the complete opposite of mine, and I can tell he’s got secrets of his own. But he makes me feel things. Makes me want to try again. Makes me want to be brave. I can almost taste the outside world. But so many things could go wrong, and all it takes is one spark for everything I love to disappear…


Title: Bloodleaf
Author: Crystal Smith
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Children's Book Group
Release Date: March 12, 2019
Genre: Fantasy
Request: Denied

Blurb

Princess Aurelia is a prisoner to her crown and the heir that nobody wants. Surrounded by spirits and banned from using her blood-magic, Aurelia flees her country after a devastating assassination attempt. To escape her fate, Aurelia disguises herself as a commoner in a new land and discovers a happiness her crown has never allowed. As she forges new bonds and perfects her magic, she begins to fall for a man who is forbidden to rule beside her.

But the ghosts that haunt Aurelia refuse to abandon her, and she finds herself succumbing to their call as they expose a nefarious plot that only she can defeat. Will she be forced to choose between the weight of the crown and the freedom of her new life?



Title: War of the Wilted
Author: Amber Mitchell
Publisher: Entangled Publishing, LLC
Release Date: October 1, 2018
Genre: Fantasy
Request: Approved

Blurb

Like flowers denied water, people are wilting under the emperor's tyranny.

Rose will not rest until the Gardener is dead. But there are bigger battles to fight, and Rayce—leader of the rebellion and the only man Rose has ever loved—believes their best chance at winning the war is to join forces with her sworn enemy.

Saving innocent people is more important than her quest for revenge. But their new ally can’t be trusted—and he knows her darkest secret. One betrayal could leave the war and Rayce’s life hanging in the balance, and Rose will need to make the ultimate sacrifice to save them all.



Title: Illusions
Author: Madeline J. Reynolds
Publisher: Entangled Publishing, LLC
Release Date: November 6, 2018
Genre: LGBT Fantasy
Request: Approved

Blurb

Dear Thomas,

I know you're angry. It's true, I was sent to expose your mentor as a fraud illusionist, and instead I have put your secret in jeopardy. I fear I have even put your life in jeopardy. For that I can only beg your forgiveness. I've fallen for you. You know I have. And I never wanted to create a rift between us, but if it means protecting you from those who wish you dead―I'll do it. I'll do anything to keep you safe, whatever the sacrifice. Please forgive me for all I've done and what I'm about to do next. I promise, it's one magic trick no one will ever see coming.

Love,
Saverio



Title: Five Feet Apart
Author: Rachael Lippincott
Publisher: Simon and Schuster Children's Publishing
Release Date: November 20, 2018
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Request: Pending

Blurb

Can you love someone you can never touch?

Stella Grant likes to be in control—even though her totally out of control lungs have sent her in and out of the hospital most of her life. At this point, what Stella needs to control most is keeping herself away from anyone or anything that might pass along an infection and jeopardize the possibility of a lung transplant. Six feet apart. No exceptions.

The only thing Will Newman wants to be in control of is getting out of this hospital. He couldn’t care less about his treatments, or a fancy new clinical drug trial. Soon, he’ll turn eighteen and then he’ll be able to unplug all these machines and actually go see the world, not just its hospitals.

Will’s exactly what Stella needs to stay away from. If he so much as breathes on Stella she could lose her spot on the transplant list. Either one of them could die. The only way to stay alive is to stay apart. But suddenly six feet doesn’t feel like safety. It feels like punishment.

What if they could steal back just a little bit of the space their broken lungs have stolen from them? Would five feet apart really be so dangerous if it stops their hearts from breaking too?



Title: The Confectioner's Guild
Author: Claire Luana
Publisher: Live Edge Publishing
Release Date: October 23, 2018
Genre: Fantasy
Request: Approved

Blurb

A magic cupcake. A culinary killer. The perfect recipe for murder.

Wren knew her sweet treats could work wonders, but she never knew they could work magic. She barely has time to wrap her head around the stunning revelation when the head of the prestigious Confectioner’s Guild falls down dead before her. Poisoned by her cupcake.

Now facing murder charges in a magical world she doesn’t understand, Wren must discover the true killer or face the headsman’s axe. With the help of a handsome inspector and several new friends, Wren just might manage to learn the ropes, master her new powers, and find out who framed her. But when their search for clues leads to a deep-rooted conspiracy that goes all the way to the top, she realizes that the guild master isn’t the only one at risk of death by chocolate.

If Wren can’t bring the powerful culprit to justice, she and her friends will meet a bittersweet end.

The Confectioner’s Guild is a delicious YA fantasy mystery. If you like spunky chefs and twisty mysteries with a drizzle of romance, then Claire Luana’s scrumptious tale is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth.



Title: The Skylark's Song
Author: J.M. Frey
Publisher: REUTS Publications
Release Date: September 4, 2018
Genre: Fantasy
Request: Denied

Blurb

A Saskwyan flight mechanic with uncanny luck, seventeen-year-old Robin Arianhod grew up in the shadow of a decade-long war. But the skies are stalked by the Coyote—a ruthless Klonn pilot who picks off crippled airships and retreating soldiers. And as the only person to have survived an aerial dance with Saskwya’s greatest scourge, Robin has earned his attention.

As a pilot, Robin is good. But the Coyote is better. When he shoots her down and takes her prisoner, Robin finds herself locked into a new kind of dance. The possibility of genuine affection from a man who should be her enemy has left her with a choice: accept the Coyote’s offer of freedom and romance in exchange for repairing a strange rocket pack that could spell Saskwya’s defeat, but become a traitor to her country. Or betray her own heart and escape. If she takes the rocket pack and flees, she could end the war from the inside.

All she has to do is fly.

Filled with intrigue, forbidden romance, and a touch of steampunk, The Skylark’s Song soars in this new duology from the award-winning author of The Accidental Turn Series.



Title: Changeling
Author: Molly Harper
Publisher: INscribe Digital
Release Date: August 22, 2018
Genre: Fantasy
Request: Approved

Blurb

If 14-year-old Cassandra Reed makes it through her first day at Miss Castwell’s Institute for the Magical Instruction of Young Ladieswithout anyone discovering her secret, maybe, just maybe, she’ll let herself believe that she really does belong at Miss Castwell’s.

Except Cassandra Reed’s real name is Sarah Smith and up until now, she lived her whole life in the Warren, serving a magical family, the Winters, as all non-magical “Snipes” are bound by magical Guardian law to do. That is, until one day, Sarah accidentally levitates Mrs. Winter’s favorite vase in the parlor...

But Snipes aren’t supposed to have magical powers…and the existence of a magical Snipe threatens the world order dictated during the Guardians’ Restoration years ago. If she wants to keep her family safe and protect her own skin, Sarah must figure out how to fit into posh Guardian society, master her newfound magical powers and discover the truth about how an ordinary girl can become magical.



Title: Toxic
Author: Lydia Kang
Publisher: Entangled Publishing, LLC
Release Date: November 6, 2018
Genre: Science Fiction
Request: Approved

Blurb

Cyclo, the first and largest biological ship of its kind, is dying. A small crew of mercenaries have handed over the rights to their life to document the death of the ship, but the abandoned ship is anything but abandoned—one girl has been left behind.

Hana has known nothing but the isolation of a single room and the secret that has kept her there for seventeen years. When she meets Fennec, the boy assigned to watch her, she realizes that there is a world she has yet to experience but she is doomed to never meet.

When crew members begin mysteriously dying, Hana and Fenn realize that they are racing against the death of the ship to find a way to survive—unless someone kills them even before Hana’s truly had a chance to live.



Title: The Revolution of Jack Frost
Author: K.M. Robinson
Publisher: Bleeding Ink Publishing
Release Date: November 6, 2018
Genre: Dystopian
Request: Approved

Blurb

No one inside the snow globe knows that Morozoko Industries is controlling their weather, testing them to form a stronger race that can survive the fall out from the bombs being dropped in the outside world—all they know is that they must survive the harsh Winter that lasts a month and use the few days of Spring, Summer, and Fall to gather enough supplies to survive.

When the seasons start shifting, Genesis and her boyfriend, Jack, know something is going on. As their team begins to find technology that they don’t have access to inside their snow globe of a world, it begins to look more and more like one of their own is working against them.

Genesis soon discovers Morozoko Industries is to blame, but when a foreign enemy tries to destroy their weather program to make sure their destructive life-altering bombs succeed in destroying the outside world, their only chance is to shut down the machine that is spinning out of control and save the lives of everyone inside the bunker--at any cost.


So there you go. Ten books that I have just requested on Netgalley. Can you tell what my favorite color is? I bet you can make a pretty good educated guess based on these book covers. 

So how many of these books do you think I will be approved for with a current feedback percentage of 22%? - Katie 

*If you're stopping by from the linkup, please be sure to drop a link to your post below so I can stop by and check out your Fall TBR.*

For more info or to sign up, click here.

34 comments:

  1. "Five Feet Apart" looks really interesting - and sounds it too. I love the details and colors of its cover design too. That alone makes me want to pick this one up. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was honestly expecting something a bit different for the story based on the cover, but it still sounded interesting so I requested anyway (and it went so well with my blue cover theme!)

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  2. Paper Girl looks incredible! I'm so intrigued. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Looking at the cover, I was expecting fantasy...but it sounds like it would be more along the lines of Everything, Everything, so still really intrigued myself.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  3. Bloodleaf looks pretty awesome, and The Skylark's Song I LOVE the look of. I need some steampunk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, too bad it's from Houghton Mifflin and they never approve me (not that I blame them with my feedback percentage but it still makes me sad).

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  4. Good luck with those!

    Hope you have better luck than I do. I have a feedback ratio of 100% (by some error it was 112% for a while), but for some reason they never approve or deny me, and in some cases, I requested them months ago. I'm afraid that one day I'll get approved for five at once. I wish we could retract our requests after we make them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose the good news for me is that there is a part of me that is hoping I'll be denied for all of them (already been approved for one though so that's not happening). It's not a big part, but it's there so I won't be too upset about denials. I also don't often spend too much time in request purgatory most of the time fortunately, so I should know within a week or two how many of them I'm getting.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  5. The only one of these I requested myself is The Confectioner's Guild - I couldn't resist the cupcake, seriously. Got approved and am so eager to jump in! Hope you get approved as well. :)
    [Fun idea btw; but I think I'd mess up my entire NG if I requested more than four at the same time, haha.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the cupcake was a big draw for The Confectioner's Guild for me as well (and the blue cover in general).

      As far as messing up my Netgalley goes, I'm way past that at this point, which is why I don't mind playing these games with myself occasionally...and I stick to YA books because I think I'm even more likely to get denied for them than some other genres.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  6. All of these books are totally new to me but they look really amazing. I am curious about Changeling. All the covers are so pretty :)
    My TTT: https://flippingthruthepages.com/2018/09/books-on-my-fall-2018-tbr/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were all new to me too when I got on Netgalley to start requesting. I'm ridiculous sometimes.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  7. Well, if the stories are anything like their covers, they will be amazing! Thanks for sharing these with us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! I'm always a bit of a sucker for a good cover.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  8. Paper Girl has gone straight on my TBR list - thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad you're doing the challenge again. It really motivated me last year. I haven't seen The Confectioner's Guild yet but it's going straight on the wishlist. I have a copy of Changeling and I love the sounds of Bloodleaf but was already denied so I'll have to wait for publication. I am noticing an abundance of blue covers on people's lists this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knowing that you were excited about taking part again helped motivate me to get the graphics created and the signups started. I wish I had more hours in the day because I never feel like I have enough time for everything I want to get accomplished.

      I have also already been denied for Bloodleaf now (but that doesn't surprise me because Houghton Mifflin is not approving someone with a 22% feedback on Netgalley). So on my wishlist it will go.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  10. If all of these are on Netgalley, I'm in trouble 😅 I want them all! That last one though....The Revolution of Jack Frost is going on the top of my request list. Thanks for sharing!

    Here's my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, they're all on Netgalley alright. I take my review request roulette very seriously around here (well as seriously as I can take something that I decided to do on the spur of the moment once).

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  11. I don't read much sci-fi, but Toxic sounds really good!

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blurb kind of makes me think of Anne McCaffrey's Brain and Brawn ship series, which I loved in middle school. And the cover is just so gorgeous.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  12. PAPER GIRL sounds interesting. Reminds me of EVERYTHING, EVERYTHING. I hope you enjoy it and all your other picks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing. I'll have to see which books I get approved for before I know which ones I'll be enjoying though.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  13. I love everything about Five Feet Apart even though I haven't read it. The cover is gorgeous and it sounds amazing. I hope you enjoy all your reads!

    My TTT https://wp.me/p3ftwe-XG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, I have to see if I get approved for them first, but I've already been approved for half of my list so that's something.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  14. I hope the pending ones get approved! Some of these sound amazing. I don’t read ARCs or new releases, so I hadn’t heard of most of them.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard of any of them until I hopped on Netgalley to try my luck, and at this point I've been approved for half of them now, and still waiting on a decision on three.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  15. Five Feet Apart and Changeling sound so good!

    My TTT post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, and I'm still waiting on a verdict for both of them. Hopefully I'm not in request limbo for too long.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  16. I wasn't familiar with most of these reads, so thanks for sharing some new to my radar books! "Five Feet Apart" sounds like it has a lot of potential! Good luck with your Fall TBR : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I'm still waiting to hear back about that one. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  17. ooo you have some awesome books here!! I'm a big YA reader and I love the sound of these titles you picked! I also like your Netgalley Roulette idea ... I'm always hesitant to request things, fear of rejection I guess. But your way sounds so exciting! I might try it! :)

    Here's my list from this week: { Top Ten Tuesday }: Books On My Fall 2018 TBR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can tell you that I definitely don't want to get approved for every book I request when I request ten at a time (because getting all those books at once would be quite overwhelming), which makes it a little bit freeing to do so because then I do fear the rejections, I actually look forward to them, even if the books that I get rejected for makes me a little sad. It's still a bit of a relief. And I definitely have fun playing Request Roulette even though the publishers continually astound me by approving me at all at this point.

      Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete