Wednesday, December 13, 2017

2018 Platypire Diversity Challenge


Because I'm a glutton for punishment and still desperately trying to read more diversely, I am once again joining the Platypire's (and my arch-nemesis) in the Platypire Diversity Challenge. Now this challenge kind of sucks for me because it requires that I read certain types of diverse books in specific months, and I suck at that. You can find out more information about what is being featured and sign up to join the challenge here. 

Since I did a horrible job of reading and reviewing the correct diverse books in the right months this past year, I'm setting my sights a little bit lower with my goal this year. Add to that the fact that I don't know how long I'm going to be "homeless" (living with my parents without my stuff) in 2018, and trying to commit to too much is just a bad idea. So I'm personally aiming for Beginner Status, so I just have to hit the diversity reading category once every other month to succeed, and that should be fairly easily doable, I think. 


This is the part of my post where I'm supposed to talk about what books I plan on reading to meet my challenge goals, but if you've read like any of my previous list posts, you should know by now that I do not do well at sticking to lists, so the following books are just books I'm considering reading because they meet the criteria for certain months, but my actual list is absolutely subject to change on a whim. 

January: Biracial Awareness - I honestly have nothing I can think of that would fit this criteria that I haven't already read. I would recommend Sorry Not Sorry by Naya Rivera though if you're looking for something to read in January.

February: Black History Month - Framing the Black Panthers by Jane Rhodes
When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir by Patrisse Kahn-Cullors & asha bandele (I won this book on Goodreads and I think it's being shipped to my parents house)
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

March: Women's History Month - This is Just My Face by Gabourey Sidibe (Could also be read in February)
The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher
Courage to Soar by Simone Biles (Could also be read in February)
Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly (Could also be read in February)

April: Arab Heritage Month - Guantanamo Diary by Mohamedou Ould Slahi (Edited by Larry Siems)

May: Asian/Pacific Islander Heritage Month - When the Future Comes Too Soon by Selina Siak Chin Yoke
Everything Belongs to Us by Yoojin Grace Wuertz

June and July: LGBT Pride Summer - I feel like I tend to stumble upon LGBT+ books and cannot think of any I have to read off the top of my head, but for sure hit me up with some suggestions in the comments. 

August: Mental Health Awareness Month - In a Different Key: The Story of Autism by John Donvan and Caren Zucker

September: Hispanic History Month - Oops-a-Daisy by Melody Delgado
Molé Mama: A Memoir of Love, Cooking and Loss by Diana Silva

October: Physical Disability Awareness Month - The Amputee's Guide to Sex by Jillian Weise

November: Native American History Month - Reservation Blues by Sherman Alexie

December: Religious Minorities - No Land's Man by Aasif Mandvi

So as you can see, I clearly have enough potential books to read to surpass Beginner's Status in the Platypire Diversity Reading Challenge, but having to actually stick to this list and get the books reviewed in a timely fashion (that's going to be the real challenge I think) makes me hesitant to set my sights any higher. 

I'm also open to suggestions for any of these categories, so hit me up with those in the comments. - Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment