Tuesday, September 12, 2017

*Top Ten Tuesday* Favorite Older Book Club Reads


Top Ten Tuesday is a meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Joood - Hooligan of Platypire reviews bossed me into doing this, so I guess this is a thing I do now. 

This weeks theme is Throwback Freebie, so I will be running down some of my favorite reads from my bookclub at our last duty station.

10: Life After Life by Kate Atkinson - This book was very divisive for my book club. Members either really liked it, or really hated it. I was on the liking it end of things. It did take a bit to figure out what was going on with the storytelling, but once I did, I really enjoyed the ride.

9: The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh - I imagine a ton of research went into writing this book. I felt like I learned a lot about the language of flowers, but the book didn't feel stuffy and educational. The information was woven into the storyline so that it was just fun.

8: Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand - This book basically wrecked me. I really felt like I was in Louis Zamperini's shoes through everything he endured, and I still just cannot imagine surviving that.

7: Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flag - So this is a book that I'd watched the movie first, and I really enjoyed it, so I was excited to read the book. This is also a book that we watched the movie while eating good old southern comfort food (I attempted to make fried tomatoes, but they were not spectacular. They don't really travel well which is part of the problem).

6: Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen - This is another book that we read and then watched the movie while stuffing our faces. The theme that night was carnival food (I made turkey legs). I'm pretty sure there were several changes made for the movie, but they really kind of made sense for the medium.

5: My Life in France by Julia Child - This book began my love affair with Julia Child's legacy. We read it in connection with Julie and Julia by Julie Powell and then watched the movie, Julie and Julia while eating our attempts at French cooking (there was so much good food).

4: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot - This book was fascinating, but also aggravating. It made for a great discussion though because there were so many things to talk about.

3: The Paris Wife by Paula McLain - This book made me want to both avoid reading anything written by Ernest Hemingway, and also read everything written by Ernest Hemingway. Apparently that dude was a jerk.

2: The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafron - This book made me desperately want to read a book that doesn't exist, because I want to read the book that would lead the main character in Shadow of the Wind to do the things he does.

1: The Hangman's Daughter by Oliver Pötzsch - This is a whole series and I need to find time to read the rest of them because I loved this historical fiction when we read it for bookclub. 

So what about you? If you're in a bookclub, what are some of your favorite book selections? And if you're not in a bookclub, what are some older books that you really enjoyed reading? - Katie 

*If you're stopping by from the TTT link-up, be sure to leave a link to your post so I can check out your throwback list.*
SaveSave

12 comments:

  1. Fried Green Tomatoes is one of my all-time favorite novels! I keep meaning to read some of the author's newer titles. My post for today is Old School Kidlit Favorites Through the Decades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I have a few of her other titles languishing on my shelves waiting for me to find time to read them...someday it will happen. - Katie

      Delete
  2. Wow. Looks like you guys read some good books. I keep wanting to read Fried Green Tomatoes. Maybe someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a good book, although I feel like the movie mostly does it justice. - Katie

      Delete
  3. I agree with both of you. Fried Green Tomatoes is a wonderful story!

    I was also a big fan of The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and The Language of Flowers. They were both fabulous for totally different reasons.

    Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. I love how different my book clubs picks were from month to month. It kept things interesting. Thanks for stopping by. - Katie

      Delete
  4. Love several of these. Fried Green Tomatoes is one I bought and STILL haven't read all these years later. 8, 5, 3 are all big faves and I liked Water for Elephants, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have books that I've owned for ages that I still need to read...lots and lots of books. - Katie

      Delete
  5. Great list! I really want to read the Shadow of the Wind!

    Here’s my TTT!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you have a good book club. Reading the book and then having a movie watching party must be so fun!

    My TTT: http://books.thetechchef.net/top-ten-tuesday-32/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was at our last duty station, so I'm not in this book club anymore, but it really was awesome. The book movie meal meetings were pretty clearly my favorite (because fat kid priorities). It's definitely something I want to do again with a book club, maybe at our next duty station. - Katie

      Delete