Monday, July 20, 2015

These are my confessions

It's 11:30 at night, and even though I'm tired, I couldn't sleep, because I started thinking about my book confessions, and that I should write a blog post about them, but obviously if I didn't get out of bed and do it right away, I was going to forget the obviously amazing wordings for them that I thought up while laying in bed, so here I am, to hit you with my confessions.

I'm a book snob. I refused to read indie books for years because of one bad experience with a self-published book, and even now I have high expectations for the structure of the books I read. I don't think being self-published is an excuse to not have your book professionally edited and proofread, and spelling is very important to me in the books I read. (I also cringe every time I find a typo in a post I've made, and when possible I edit the post to fix it.)

If you only started reading because of Twilight or 50 Shades of Grey, I'm going to judge you. Before you throw the noose around my neck, I read every book in both series (and I sort of want 50 Shades of Grey from Christian's POV. P.S. I started writing this post before Grey was announced), but they're really not that well written. They are entertaining though, and they did get many people reading that weren't before, so they have value for that if for nothing else, but if either of those books is the reason you started reading, I'm going to judge you, because you missed out on so much reading time!

I will judge you if you only read one genre, it doesn't matter what genre it is either. I know romance readers think that romance novels are so diverse because they can have mystery, suspense, etc., but other genres are also quite diverse. Most of the science fiction I've read has romance in it, and generally suspense or horror. Horror novels almost always have romance too, it's just not the focus of the story. I mostly just wish people would step out of their boxes occasionally and try something different.

Romance is one of my least favorite genres. It only ranks higher than graphic novels and Christian fiction (surprisingly other religious based fiction is more interesting to me than Christian fiction, possibly because I'm familiar with Christianity and I like books that show me things I don't see every day.) When I am reading romance, I prefer historical or paranormal (again, I like books that show me things outside of my realm of experience.)

Now onto some minor confessions.
I one click books just because they're free.
I'm a spine breaker.
I read on the toilet.
My legs frequently fall asleep while I'm reading on the toilet.
I rarely buy books new when I can get them used (except ebooks).
I one click 99 cent ebooks if they sound the least bit interesting.
I'm related to a fairly popular author, but I'm not allowed to tell anyone about it.
I always have more than four books (minimum) started at any given time.

And I think that's enough confessions for one post. Do you have any book related confessions you'd like to get off your chest? Share them here and let me judge you like I'm sure you're judging me now. - Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment