Friday, December 5, 2014

30 Days of Christmas - Day 4 - The Story of the Snowman by Bex Pavia

I'm back to a children's book today. Why? Because I desperately need to sweep and mop my whole house (after not mopping for the entire month of November because I was #NaNoing) today, which didn't really leave me a whole lot of time to read. Also, I've actually read this book to my children already so that's an added bonus.


Genre: Childrens/Holiday
Published: September 24, 2014
Age Range: 1-6 (ish) 
(That's my estimate)

Synopsis

Created with reading to children in mind, this book tells the rhyming tale of where snowmen came from. For interactive fun, Sam the squirrel is waiting to be discovered at every turn of the page. 


How did snowmen come to be? 
Turn the pages, then you'll see, 
That once upon a winter's night, 
A lonely star made men so white. 


All royalties from the sale of this book will go to Booktrust’s Children’s Reading Fund, using the power of books and reading to change the story for disadvantaged children.

Review

This book is short, as many books written for young children are because small children have short attention spans. It is not however a single page long as Amazon suggests. It is full children's book sized. I promise. It's also not actually about Christmas, but it's about snowmen, so it's close enough, right? Anyway, on with the review.

I personally appreciate children's books that rhyme. It makes them feel lyrical and they're just more fun for me to read to my minions. And if I remember correctly, reading rhymes to your young children helps with their brain development (I'm pretty sure I read that somewhere). So this book is not only a cute little story, but it's good for your kids brains. 

This really was a cute story about the creation of the first snowman ever. The illustrations are fairly simple, but with vivid colors that draw your eyes to the page. And my children really enjoy finding Sam the squirrel on every page. 

The one drawback to this book, is that because it is a picture book, it is only available on the Kindle Fire and other tablets or in paperback. If you read ebooks to your children though, you probably already have one of those devices. 

Overall I give this book 5 out of 5 stars because it's cute, it rhymes, my children liked it, and I don't even mind reading it to them. I would definitely recommend it to anyone with small children. - Katie 

Buy the Book

No comments:

Post a Comment