Thursday, March 6, 2014

Review of "Sunshine" and "Sun Poisoned" by Nikki Rae

Sunshine

There is a new vampire on the block, and like Edward Cullen he's a teenager and in high school. Unlike Edward Cullen, he doesn't freakin' sparkle and subsist on animal blood (no offense to Twilight fans. I read all four books and the stories suck you, but as far as vampires go, Twilight vampires are really lame). Myles is an almost nerdy teenage vampire just trying to have the high school experience he never got the chance to have, not that he would have had a high school experience had he not been turned because high school didn't really exist when he was a human.

Sophie Jean is not your average 18 year old girl. For one, her parents are rich, but you'd never be able to tell by the way Sophie acts. She is a piano whiz that can play just about anything by ear, which is good since sheet music is like Greek to her. And she's allergic to the sun, a fact her mother desperately wants to change because Sophie's allergies are just ruining her otherwise perfect life.

When Myles transfers to Lucky High School senior year, Sophie wants nothing to do with him. She's been burned enough in the past that the only people she really trusts are Boo (short for Peek-a-Book), his twin sister Trei (pronounced Tree), her older brother Jade and his boyfriend Stevie, and her little half-sister Leena. Beyond that, she doesn't want her reputation as the weird girl that's allergic to the sun to tarnish Myles image. She knows she's not the best person to make friends with if you want to be popular in high school. Myles is incredibly persistent though, seeing something in Sophie she can't even see herself.

"Sunshine" sucked me in. When I first started reading it, I'd planned on just reading a chapter or two and then going to bed, but before I knew it, I was at 63% and it was 2:30 in the morning. I really just didn't want to put it down. Even though I'm nothing like Sophie, and I was really not much like Sophie in high school, I really related to her. I was able to step into her shoes and live a few days in the dark. I was even a bit reluctant to like Myles at first, although he won me over much quicker than Sophie. 

There were a few plot points that were incongruous with the story or just actual life in general that really popped out at me, but I also have a tendency to over think the smallest of things sometimes. Overall I give this book a 4 out of 5 stars for the flow of the story and for having vampires that don't sparkle.

Sun Poisoned

This book continues the story of Sophie, Myles, Boo, and Trei, now in the Big Apple. Sophie, Boo, and Trei's band has managed to land a gig playing at a club in the city that is owned by one of Myles' long time friends. To sweeten the deal, they even get to live rent free in the club apartment complex that includes several practice rooms for the various bands that perform there. This is kind of a dream come true for Sophie as she's always wanted to play piano for a living, and now she doesn't even have to go outside in the sun to get to the practice studio. Myles has even moved in to, to stay close to Sophie who is finally starting to open up a little and let him into her life, but Myles almost has more skeletons in his closet than any vampire should have. Will Sophie be able to forgive him when his secrets finally start to come out, or will she shut down again, maybe for good.

This book felt a little more unreal, but that seems to be the intent. Sophie can't believe her luck that she's getting to play music for a living, and honestly, that has to feel a bit unreal to just about everyone, at least at first. There were also several circumstances that just seemed way too good to be true, including the rent free lodging in New York City, but most of those things are explained in the book, and fit pretty perfectly with the rich vampire stereotype.

I personally started to get annoyed with Sophie's mental issues. While she was making some progress with the help of Myles, she was really quick to regress on him, and it was incredibly frustrating for me. I really wanted Myles to just say "Fine, fuck it. We're through." I'm sure I wouldn't have been happy if he had, but seriously, this woman is aggravating, and Myles the monster is pretty much a saint. 

Overall I give this book 4 out of 5 stars as well. The story line was much more consistent without plot inconsistencies, and it was still quite interesting. I look forward to the next book in the series. - Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment